Friday, June 1, 2007

Would you like a horse with that cart?

Jack and I are often asked about the construction at the house. Basically, WHAT and WHY are we doing what we’re doing? As of late, Jack and I have also been asking each other WHAT and WHY???

We started this project 2 ½ years ago, and here’s why:

I stumbled across this table in Fredericksburg. I guess I can admit now that it was one of those impulse buys, but I just HAD to have it. It sang to me. No, I wasn’t exactly in the market for a dining room table; keep in mind I was living in a very small and very old farmhouse. And, well, it’s not like I even had a dining room for the table. But, if I did have a dining room, and if I did have a large family, this was the table I always envisioned I would have. But, you know, who cares about all the if’s when you find THE PERFECT DINING ROOM TABLE? And, you know, I really needed this 12-foot table for my large family of 2. We’re big eaters.

So there you have it. Now you know what prompted the construction 2 ½ years ago. For the love of this table, our lives have been in complete chaos for 2 ½ years. It began with one wall being blown out to add on a dining room, and this led to needing a great room to go with the dining room, which led to needing a library and media room to go with the great room, which led to the need for a new master suite, which led to the need for a new pool and spa to go with the new master suite, which led to the need for a little guest bungalow on the other side of the pool.

Otherwise, the table would just look too plain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Love It....I didn't know you were such a creative writer!!

Nice table... Maybe we can play quarters on it next time and talk about Lajitas and the old days of bread and water.

Lavender Chick said...

You have to have me mixed up with another Lavender Chick. I would never play quarters! I'm much too refined for that these days. That's just so.... 80's.

Pilar said...

Pity. Refinement is just so . . . confining. There's just nothing like a "six pack of Coors Light," a few Elvis songs, and a good game of quarters.

Lavender Chick said...

Pilar has given me something to think about. I'll have to sleep on it. Afterall, I do love Elvis.