Monday, August 27, 2007

Back to School & A New Customer, Too!

Howdy!! Yes, I'm back. I chuckle when I say or hear 'howdy' because that is how my Pappy always answered the phone, being the forever West Texan gentleman farmer that he was. If my grandparents were ever expecting an important phone call - you know, someone important and high-falutin' from some big city, my grandmother would always plead with him if she was worried the call would come in while she was gone, "Please Tom, I'm expecting an important call from so and so; just in case they call while I'm gone don't say howdy when you answer the phone. They're all gonna think we're a bunch of hicks".

She would leave. The phone would ring. And he'd answer, "Howdy?"

Only one time did I ever call when my Pappy answered the phone, "hello". I almost hung up, I thought I had dialed the wrong number. He told me he only answered that way because my grandmother was standing right next to him and giving him the look. They were expecting a call from a doctor in Lubbock about test results. You know, those high-falutin' people in Lubbock.

So again, Howdy! I'm back and rested, and even got to get some fresh mountain air in my lungs over the weekend. I hitched a ride with my friend Sam (yes, another one of those 30+ years girlfriends) to Alpine for the weekend. She has a retreat house in Marathon, 26 miles from Alpine. Get it? The town is called Marathon and it's 26 miles from Alpine. Of course if you're a local, you don't say Mara-Thon, it's Mara-Thun. It's a dead giveaway you're high-falutin' if you say Mara-Thon.

We had a great time. I got to visit with my parents, my sisters, and my grandmother.... but I can't divulge anymore than that. What goes on in Marathon, stays in Marathon.

As far as some other news, I'm glad to announce our newest retailer to the Hummingbird Farms line of Aromatherapy Body Care. Wisteria Home & Garden is located in the historic downtown area of Marble Falls on Main Street. If you're ever in the area, or visiting Lake LBJ & Horseshoe Bay, you just have to stop by. Their building is in the 1891 Michel Drug Store where they still have the old-fashioned soda fountain in the store, serving none other than Blue-Bell ice cream of course; and they have some of the best one-of-a-kind furniture pieces you have ever seen. They have great art and accessories, too. You just have to check them out. Tom and Toni are great people and we're just thrilled to partner with them.

Last but not least, you have to see this picture of my nieces from Houston. Today was their first day of school, kindergarten & 2nd grade.






Yes, the kindergartner is striking a pose. She's already high-falutin' ....


3 comments:

LivingTheLife said...

Whew! I am so glad you're back...I knew you were taking a break...and I wasn't sure for how long...but everyday...I checked just in case it was the day you would return...I am so glad you're back...glad you had a great time with family in Mar-thun?? and that you were able to get in some much needed R & R...we all need that on a regular basis as far as I am concerned...the new store sounds like such a neat place...we used to go to a little corner drug store w/a sodie fountain (that's what my grandpa called it) in his little home town...it was a gem of a place...thanks for sharing your trip and all...and REALLY glad you are back blogging!!

Blessings...
"T"

Anonymous said...

HOWDY. Glad you are back. I grew up in that bastion of sophistiction known as Lubbock AKA "The Hub". Your grandfather altering his greeting for those high faluting folks made me smile. A lot.

TaunaLen said...

Welcome back. As they say, you can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl. I was born in and lived in west Texas all of about 18 months -- But I'm still a Texas girl. Guess it's hereditary. Hope you had a nice break, and congrats on your new customer.