Saturday, August 11, 2007

There's light at the end of the tunnel

I'm feeling inspired! I have come across some great decorating blogs that have finally gotten me excited about the construction zone I've been living in for almost 3 years! I am very much a nester, and I have to tell y'all that this has been the most trying time of my life. Yes, I'm grateful for what we have, and I know the house will be just gorgeous, but it is so very difficult living with clutter, dust, and chaos.

However, since coming across some fantastic blogs like Cote de Texas, I'm once again inspired and not feeling quite so sorry for myself anymore. What can I say? My nest is one of the most important things in my life to me, and it has just been in such disarray for so long I haven't even been able to get excited about decorating, something I used to love to do. I guess it just all seems so overwhelming right now.

You see, when we moved out of our San Antonio house and to the farm, 90% of our stuff went into storage. There was absolutely no way all our stuff would fit into the old farmhouse we were moving into. Well, that was almost 5 years ago and pre-construction - Now I can't remember what all stuff I have! I guess it's been the true test that you really don't need all that stuff, being that I've been able to manage just fine without it all these years. However, now that the new part of the house will soon be ready to move into, I need to start going through all my old stuff and figure out where to place it in the new area or whether to even use it at all.

I get heart palpitations just thinking about it.

I wish some little fairies with pixie dust would just show up over here and with a few sprinkles my house will be clean and tidy, all the furnishings in place, paintings hung, etc...

Over time, I'm going to begin posting more pictures of the new construction and re-model and hope you can help me with ideas. It's funny, I'm finally living my dream - we're building the house I always wanted, and I don't know where to begin!

Our inspiration for the design of the house was from Louisiana architect A. Hays Town. My little sister turned me onto his style. Jack and I both loved it.




Our architect worked with the style of A. Hays Town in mind, but also focused on blending traditional Texas Hill Country architecture with his style.


The picture above is from one of Hays Town's homes. His style was commonly represented with Spanish courtyards, exterior french doors, plantation-style separate structures, and brick floors.




This picture below is of our courtyard, from a distance of course... I'm not quite ready to show the close ups, being that there's still a lot of work that needs to be done and construction junk sitting around everywhere.


So as you can see, we kept the courtyard theme of Hays Town, along with the concept of separate guest structures. You can't tell from the picture, but a guest bungalow to the left of the courtyard is actually a separate structure which will be tied to the house with landscaping. We also were able to get our hands on some old 1800's brick from an old Chicago firehouse which is what we used for the floor in the morning room just off the kitchen. To keep with traditional Hill Country style, we used a metal roof for the new addition - the original farmhouse also had a metal roof.
When I get the courage up, I will get some more pictures over to you that are a little more close up. I think my hesitance is that I'm one of those unfortunate perfectionist type people and want to have everything looking perfect before you see it.
But of course, I need ideas - SO PLEASE HELP ME!!!

3 comments:

Theresa said...

I would loan you my youngest daughter to help you sort thru stuff and decided where it would work best, but I think her husband and son MIGHT get a little testy aobut it. (Seriously, Jessica is one of the BEST people I know for decorating and organizing!) Have FUN!!!

LivingTheLife said...

Oh!! I love your place...I think what you are doing is absolutely out of this world...GREAT!! I love the architecture style you've chosen and the fact you've incorparated a little of the Texas Hill Country design in it, too! I am so like you with the perfectionist thing...it's hindering sometimes...isn't it??? When you decide to move in and reclaim your stuff from storage...give me a shout...you never know when I may need a "road trip"...I'm heading to Co. in mid Sept. to help my daughter and son-in-law work on their new home...I can't wait...I live to help with that!! Maybe all of us gals who share your taste in blogland...should have a little house organizing or as you so preciously described it "fairy sprinkling" when you make the leap!

Blessings...and enjoy...it's almost coming to an end...hopefully...you'll be nesting up a storm soon!

justabeachkat said...

Love the look from a distance and can't wait to see it up close when you're ready to show it off.

We don't have any carpet in our entire house. Most of the house has Chicago brick flooring and we love, love, love it! The bedrooms have hardwood floors and the baths have limestone, tile, etc.

Let me know if you'd like to see some photos of our brick floors. I can e-mail them to you.

We had lots of our "stuff" in storage for 4 years before moving into the new house. It was like Christmas unpacking everything. So much fun. We forgot about alot of things we had. Amazing.

Hugs!
Kat