Thursday, September 20, 2007

Yonder There's Lavender Potatoes

Just in case you’re in the mood to experience cooking with lavender, here’s a great recipe that my friend, Paige, sent to me. I love new potatoes. Well, I love all potatoes – but new potatoes especially. One of my favorite childhood memories is of my sister and me with my Pappy in the garden picking potatoes. Actually, you don’t pick potatoes, you dig potatoes.

When I was a kid on my grandfather’s farm, I thought there was nothing more fun than getting my hands deep into the earth and digging for treasure. Well, okay - I was digging for potatoes, but in my little imaginary mind I was discovering great treasure that had been hidden centuries earlier by little fairies. My sister on the other hand didn’t see it quite like I did, but she would somehow manage to join in on the fun. We were like two little puppy dogs digging with our hands as fast as we could, saying “I got one! Found another one!” My Pappy would be standing there in his khaki pants & shirt with a great big grin on his face. He would be laughing and saying, “Don’t forget the ones over yonder!”

Yonder. One of my favorite words. Howdy is my other favorite word.

So here’s a recipe for lavender potatoes. If you’ve never cooked with lavender, please keep in mind that a little dab’ll do ya’. Lavender is a fantastic herb, but it should be used to enhance other flavors, not to dominate. Otherwise, you will be eating new potatoes that taste like soap. Not very appetizing. But, when done right, I have to tell you that you will just love it!

Lavender can bring to life many foods, including potatoes, chicken, and rice. Oh, and desserts, don’t forget the desserts – especially ice cream, sugar cookies, and crème brulee. Yummy!

Lavender Potatoes with Rosemary

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 35 minutes
Serves 8
1 pound new potatoes, washed and cut in halves or quarters
1 teaspoon dried lavender (or 6 fresh sprigs of lavender)
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons dried lavender
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Place the potatoes and 1 teaspoon lavender in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover and bring to a boil and continue to boil until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife but still hold their shape. Drain, allowing the lavender to cling.

Melt the butter over MEDIUM in a large skillet, add the 2 teaspoons lavender, the rosemary and the salt and stir. Add the potatoes and stir well to coat with butter. Cook, tossing occasionally until the potatoes are hot, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

Bon appetit!

3 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Oh my~ I can smell them from here. I will have to give this a try!

justabeachkat said...

I never knew you could cook with lavender....silly me! Thanks for the recipe. Loved the story about digging up potatoes with your sister while your Pappy watched. I love the word yonder too!

Hugs!
Kat

LivingTheLife said...

I am going to have to ask my son "the chef" if he has ever cooked w/lavender...I'm sure he probably has...he learned all kinds of things at the Culinary Institute of America...I have the receipts to prove it!! LOL...but seriously I imagine that is good if like you say...you use the proper proportions. You know how I love my lavender chamomille tea!!

I used to dig potatoes w/my dad...my sister...not so much...my favorite was corn and carrots...but dad always had to be w/me when the corn was ready...and I ALWAYS pulled the carrots up too early!

I'm going to pass your recipe on to my son...and I'll see if they use it at the Lodge. If that is allright??? I won't use it if it's a recipe passed down from generation to generation. That wouldn't be right...well, unless I could get them to pay you for it!!

Thanks for sharing and for the sweet memories you shared of your Pappy.

Blessings...
"T"