Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Hill Country Walk About

I had a really great weekend! And yes, I actually have pictures to chronicle my great day on Saturday. It’s just that it’s taken me a couple of days to figure out how the heck to upload the things. You see, I’m over the age of 14.

No wait. Am I over the age of 14? I’ve been kind of feeling like I’m 14 … My poor body is just confused; it can’t figure out if I’m going through puberty or menopause. Maybe I’m going through pubopause… Zits and hot flashes. It’s a wonderful combination.

Regardless, my great weekend more than made up for my hormone roller coaster rider. Do you remember my friend, Lisa? My friend since the 3rd grade? I reported a while back that she was becoming quite the impressive photographer. Well, who knew, but all visitors to Austin will soon be greeted with her photos at the airport. We’re so excited for her!

She came out on Saturday and we went on a mini road trip to take pictures. Actually, she said this trip couldn’t qualify as a road trip, being that we didn’t venture more than 30 minutes from Hummingbird Farms; so she’s opted to refer to it as a “walk about." And if anyone knows the definition of a road trip, Lisa and I do, being that we’ve been on something like 1459 of them. I don’t know if it’s a west Texas thing or not, but the girls I grew up with still love a good ole’ road trip! Being that we grew up almost 3 hours from the closest airport and an hour from a WalBall, we learned all our greatest lessons in life on the road. Or on the side of it…

You know what? Let’s just skip the road trip stories; I would like to maintain some sort of dignity with my friends in blogland. We’ll discuss road trips another day. Or never. Anyhow, let’s just talk about our Saturday ‘walk about.’

Because Lisa and I have never had trouble meeting people and talking to perfect strangers, we decided to venture out and chronicle a Hill Country day. It was a box of chocolates kind of day… We had no idea what we’d get. But, I’m glad to report that Lisa got some great shots, and I sure got some great stories… And more good memories!

So, for your viewing pleasure, these are some things you would see if you ever decided to come visit me, and then take a little Sunday drive going north on FM 1376 through Luckenbach and Sisterdale. Two of my favorite places!

And who knows… You might even see some of these pictures at the Rockin’ RB at the Austin airport.



As we were driving on the highway, we passed this beautiful lady, Mrs. Ruby, painting her fence. We were so taken by her. She was wearing a white skirt and had just had her hair done the day before. She was lovely! She told us that she had been living on that ranch for 61 years. She had a bit of an accent and Lisa asked her where she was from. She proudly said, "I'm from here, I was born just down the road by the bat cave in Fredericksburg." I had to remind Lisa that her German accent is quite common in this historic German settlement area.


Santa enjoys kicking back in Luckenbach during his off season. Who knew?


I'm so proud of Lisa on this shot. I love the black and white with the orange beaks and feet! These ducks were too funny! Who needs a watch dog when you can have a watch duck?



I wanted to take these burros home with me! They were so sweet... Note to owner of burros: We apologize up front for trespassing. Thank you for not shooting us. We just really liked your ducks and burros!

Only in Texas ....



I drive by this old house in Sisterdale a couple of times a week. No one has lived in it for decades. Each time I drive by I wonder about it's story...


And then when we got home we had to tell Jack all about our day and the people we met. It took an entire cigar for him to hear all the details. I just love Jack's hands...
It was a great day! I'm also so excited about watching Lisa grow with her photography. She's so talented!

9 comments:

LivingTheLife said...

Sounds like you and Lisa had a great time...and I agree...I love a good road trip...I'll have to come see you...bribe you with tequilla or great wine...whichever is your poison of choice...I hope like heck you will share some of your road trip stories with me...and don't worry...they will stay safely in my heart!

Your friend is much like my daughter in that they both love photography...my daughter has been working on a few things much like Lisa is doing...she lives in Colorado...and I told her anytime she can take pictures that remind people of gentlier times or something that spoke of a particuliar community...she should not hesitate to take a picture...she is awesome...I must say...but I am her mother!

I LOVED the picture of Mrs. Ruby...what a living doll...I bet you she has some really great stories to share. I love Fredricksburge and it's German heritage...my grandparents and dad were full blood German...something they were all very proud of...I think that is were they all learned their awesome work ethic...my grandmother was the "queen of invention" and never wasted a thing. My dad and Grandpa were never still long enough to grow weary...the only time they were quiet or still was when they were asleep...ahhhh....the memories...

Loved the pictorial of a truly lovely "walk-a-bout!"....thanks for sharing...

Blessings...
Teresa

Boyz3Mommy said...

Have I mentioned yet that you are an amazing story teller? Surely I have? And girlllll...it don't take no road trip for you to tell one heckuva story. Shoot, you could just sit at your table and look out at "church" and get a good ole story going for all of us ANY day of the week.

Love you.

Lisa said...

I can't believe "Bullet hole Willie" didn't make the cut on the photographs! For those of you who weren't in the backseat of my SUV on Saturday, we met Willie at the Roadhouse Bar in Sisterdale. He got shot right square in the middle of his forehead and lived to tell the story. I pushed as hard as I could to get him to tell the story of who shot him and why........the most I got, about 14 times was "I got shot in AMERICA!"

My favorite thing about the photo of Jack's hands is that if you look very closely, you'll see a little white on his fingernails. That would be flour from the fabulous chicken fried steak dinner he cooked for us when we got home!

Thanks for a great day, my friend!

justabeachkat said...

Deb, those photos are INCREDIBLE! Sure wish I could have tagged along. Maybe next time?

Hugs!
Kat

Gardengirl said...

I'm so happy I found your blog. A couple of years ago I started getting serious about growing lavender and hope to add more plants this year to humble little garden.
I love the photo's from your trip especially the one of Mrs Ruby. She looks like my kind of lady.

zoom said...

The name Sisterdale is one of my favorite Texas town names. Right up there with Happy, Muleshoe, and Cut and Shoot.

Oh girl. About a month from now I will head out from DFW and my husband and I will meander the back roads of the hill country in search of wildflowers. Heaven.

texasknights said...

Love the pictures!!!!! You did a great job captivating the spirit of Texas! Beind a native Texan ...you made me proud!

Painted Groove Girl said...

Well! Despite the fact that nobody said anything to ME about this particular roadtrip, I am so happy you and LP got to spend this day together. You both have an eye for beauty, whether it's in people or old broken-down houses, or donkeys and ducks.

twinkle said...

You have got to be quick to find Luckenbach! I spent a few months in San'tonio back in '98 for my job. Sorry and not to offend, but San'tonio was not for me. But I ventured up towards Fredricksburg one weekend and had a memory moment! It was beautiful! I visited the Admiral Nimitz museum and loved the Japanese garden. We drove to Luckenbach...almost missed the turn! Bought a shirt and traveled on through the most beautiful hill country. I remember visiting a red rock mountain...can't remember the name but it was close by.
But those cute little Sunday houses...like dollhouses...in Fredricksburg were special memories. Wish I had spent a night there. I did try to buy a "cowboy" gun at the authentic Western store (it had just been robbed the night before). But handgun laws wouldn't let me :). Loved that store!
Thanks for the reminder of my walk-about.
Have some more, ok? We love the pictures!