Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Romance That Never Dies

Because it's Valentines Day, I wanted to share with y'all the most romantic thing I've ever heard anyone say. This was actually said almost 15 years ago, but I can still remember it clearly. It was before I was married or even knew Jack, but it always stuck with me. Maybe it was one of those defining moments - you know, a moment that unexpectedly happens and you realize later, sometimes years later, that it made an imprint in your life. Whatever it was, it certainly made a mark with me, and something that defined to me what true love really is, and what I knew I wanted.

It actually involves Lisa's grandmother, Mrs. P. She was quite the character and quite the storyteller. She passed away about 4 years ago, but lived to be 102! Isn't that fantastic? It's so amazing to me to realize that she lived through two world wars, the first motor car and airplane; man landing on the moon, microwave ovens, computers... I could go on an on. It's amazing if you think what 100 years has brought. But with all that she lived to see, she said that the most amazing invention to her was toilet paper. I've thought about that a lot, and you know, I would have to agree.

Anyway, back to the most romantic thing I've ever heard. Lisa's brother, Mrs. P's grandson, had just gotten married. After the wedding and reception, some family and friends went over to Lisa's parents house for the after party party. There was a group of us sitting in the living room by the fireplace and we were all just gabbing about all the different weddings we had been to, who had been married to whom, how long ... You know, just gabbing about weddings and marriage.

Now at this point in time, Mrs. P had been a widow almost as long as she had been married; her husband had passed away in 1969. So as we were gabbing about wedding stuff, a young lady that was sitting next to me asked Mrs. P how long she had been married.

Okay, let me set this up for y'all. First of all it got quiet. Mrs. P's face got still and serious and she stared right into this yong lady's eyes while rasing her left hand showing the wedding band on her finger. This is what she said: "Oh honey, I'm STILL married. But if you would like to know how many anniversaries Mr. P and I celebrated before he passed away, well that would be 41."

And with that, I want to wish all of you a Very Happy Valentines Day ...

11 comments:

justabeachkat said...

Oh how sweet. That gave me chills!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

HUGS,
KAT

Terri said...

That is just so wonderful. In a world that had the view of "get something newer" even if it is a spouse ... well, this just touches me. Thank you for sharing it.

Lisa said...

oh Debi Dawn (you know I'm going to be emotional when I refer to you as something other than Lavender Chick in blog land). I was there that night, and now I totally remember Grandmother holding up her little ladylike hand and saying that she was "still married" (she always prided herself in her ladylike hands). But I had forgotten that story until you recounted it.

Most of Grandmother's stories were of epic proportions. What interests me is that you would notice, and hang onto, this little moment.

You know what's coming next......it's like my mom's cake plate. We all blew through my mom's back door every day after school and the first thing we did was grab whatever homemade thing she had on the cake plate. It never crossed my mind what a wonderful thing that was until we were in college and you told me all that you attached to the idea of the "cake plate".

You are a truly special person. You see, and notice, and remember, and make me see, the most amazing details.

You really are a treasure.

Painted Groove Girl said...

We never know when we say something how it's going to resonate with the people around us. Or, how we affect other people just by being us. I personally remember Mrs. P's beautiful white hair. It was stunning. And she was just regal to me.

Jim said...

Hey Deb!

Awesome story. Grandmother was definately a force. The end of that story, as you may know, is that Wendy now proudly wears Grandmother's ring on her hand - and looks forward to passing along the legacy one day.

Tell Jack I said hello. We would love to see you both.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Hey, came by to thank you for your visit today! It seems like ages since I've seen you (well, saw a comment to let me know you'd visited) so I wanted to stop in and catch up! So great to see you.

What a DELIGHTFUL story. I loved it! Both of my grandmas were widowed after 50+ years of marriage and they missed their husbands terribly! Heartbreaking. And I know they kept their rings on as a tribute and testimony to the love of their lives.

Sweet sweet story. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Weekend!

Melissa

LivingTheLife said...

What a lovely story...Mrs. P. sounds like my kind of woman! It reminds me of my grandfather after my grandmother had died...they had been married nearly 60 years when she passed away...he wore his wedding ring till the day he died...he said, " he wore it to honor her"...I loved their love story...and I loved that you shared this wonderul memory of a woman who most assuredly touched many hearts. Some people are just so true and pure...it just warms my heart!

Blessings...
Teresa

joan said...

That was a good story. Sometimes we can learn alot from "older folks" which some younger people might claasify me in that category. LOL Have a good week.

Diane J. said...

All together now, "awwwww!"

It's been a while since I dropped by and I'm glad I did today. Wonderful story.

Hope all is well with you and yours, LG. ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

Chrissie said...

What a blessed thing to say! Thank you for putting that up for us!
God bless you -
Chrissie

Meg said...

That is an absolutely beautiful story! What a wonderful story. I hope to have a love like that someday...