Friday, May 9, 2008

Did y’all walk by a field of purple and not notice it?

Okay, this is serious stuff y’all. I think I might have a bone to pick with you. Is it possible that you may have ever - I mean ever in your life for one second walked, hopped, driven, skipped, or flown by a field of purple and not noticed it? I have to know. Have you ever done it?



Think… Think… Think….







This is the deal. Remember Shug from The Color Purple? Now don’t tell me you don’t remember Shug. That’s like not remembering Juno or Forrest.

Or Aurora or Scout.

Okay, maybe you’ll remember Shug when I remind you what she said:

"I think is pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don’t
notice it."

Those were her words y’all, not mine. But I think she might be on to something. You see, we have NO LAVENDER BLOOMS! None, zilch, zero. We don’t even have signs of blooms to come… We’re crushed.

And clueless.

This time last year it looked like this out here.


And this.



And this.



I would show you what it looks like this year, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. It’s sad y’all. Very sad. It's a moment in history I don't want recorded.

It’s been an overall low bloom year for everything in the Hill Country this year. (Except for oak and cedar pollen; that’s a bumper crop every year.) The wildflowers were disappointing and the bluebonnets were as rare as I have ever seen. You know – come to think of it, the bluebonnets are kind of purplish in color. I would suppose if you were God and looking at bluebonnets from heaven they would kind of take on a purplish hue. Maybe that’s something else we got wrong. Perhaps He intended for us to call them purplebonnets. Maybe that’s why He only let’s us see them for a short period of time…. He could still be a little po’d about that too!

So anyway, we don’t know what’s going on with our lavender fields. We talked to another lavender farmer last night and they are having the same problem. Hopefully this only means we will have a late bloom this year. Or maybe we need to grow cotton or corn or something….

Do you think there’s a market for cotton lotion or corn spa treatment? What about hay body wash?

10 comments:

Big Mama said...

Oh Deb, I hate that the lavender didn't bloom. Does this mean my favorite lotion is going to selling at a premium price?

I noticed the same thing with the wildflowers. We didn't have any around here this year.

justabeachkat said...

OH NO!! I'm with Big Mama...will our lotion prices go sky high? I'm getting low on mine now. Oh girl, I hope it's just a late blooming season.

Hugs!
Kat

Lavender Chick said...

Hey Big Mama & BeachKat - no worries for now. We still have plenty of oil from last year... I think. We're holding out for a surprise fall bloom. In the meantime, I'm making sure that anytime I see anything purple, in a field or otherwise, I stop and appreciate it and say a little prayer.

If all else fails, we'll have to do like the wineries and blend a little of Hummingbird Farms oil with someone else's oil. Sort of like blending grapes from various vineyards. Hope not, but we'll do what we have to do to keep the world exfoliated and moisturized!

Theresa said...

I'm hoping that everything blooms for you soon! Believe me--corn is NOT the way to go! I've cleaned corn at the Millersport Sweet Corn Festival for TOOOOO many years, and all corn does is make you sticky and help attract yellow jackets! NO FUN!!!

LivingTheLife said...

I'll certainly be praying for fields of lavender to bloom...soon! Could it be that last year was a much wetter year than this one...???? It's been rather mild in temps...if you don't count yesterday...geez...louise where did that heat wave come from??? My daughter and SIL were in Austin this weekend for a friends wedding...actually at a place in Burnett...on Lake Buchanan? I was hoping the weather would be awesome (b/c they had snow last week and are anxious for spring) then they would fall in love with Austin all over again...and move back to Texas. WELL after Saturdays 90+ temps...THAT is NOT going to happen...darn it! She just called on her way to the airport to wish me Happy Mother's Day...she said the wedding was at 2:00, outside and miserably HOT! Dang!

I will make sure if I see lavender fields...to not only stop and enjoy...but to do a little "lavender bloom dance" for you guys! It's a lovely dance...you should see it...kind of a cross between Elaine on Seinfeld and an Indian Tribal dance...really awesome! Hmmm hope that doesn't scare the blooms away!

Blessings...
Teresa

texasknights said...

You best find some purple, girly. I was hoping to head down that way with my mom for a little roadtrip.
I noticed the bluebonnets were a bit slim here in the Big D too!

diana said...

came upon your blog thru another and noticed that we are hill country sisters.... yes the wildflower blooms were lacking this year.... i so hope the lavender will just be a late bloomer.

Boyz3Mommy said...

Uh Oh...my heart is broken for you guys. OH and I have a NEW idea for your Lavender...How about a salt scrub of some sort? Lavender Vanilla salt scrub. I use my Fredericksburg Herb Farm Sugarbutter ALL the time and when I do I always think to myself...Debi should SO do this!!

Lavender Chick said...

Tina - You're in luck! Hummingbird Farms just happens to have the best hand and feet scrub in the entire universe - Lavender Spa Treatment No. 9. We use Dead Sea Salts and blend with lavender, olive, rosemary, and sunflower seed oil. It's antioxidants gone wild! It's really great, just ask Big Mama; she calls it 'Crack in Jar'.

Teresa - When you're not too busy 'LivingTheLife', you just have to teach me that bloom dance! I think you need to video yourself doing the bloom dance and put it on your blog so we can all learn!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Some people have bumper stickers that read "I Brake for Animals" ... I need one that reads "I Brake for Colors" ...