Saturday, May 10, 2008

We're all kind of churchy around here

Generally this time of year I'm busy posting pictures of our blooming lavender fields.... Being that I have some time on my hands while waiting for Mother Nature to wave her 'I'm Ready For You To Bloom' wand, I thought I would show you some pictures of some other things around here.

Let's start with 'Church'.


'Church' is our little guest cottage. It is where our friends and family stay when visiting. My mother always stays here, and this is where my grandmother would hole up for days and days... My grandmother was the ultimate church lady; sometimes she had to come to our church so she could escape her other church obligations.

I know you're asking why we call our guest cottage 'church'. Do you see the stained glass window up there? Being the photographer I'm not, you can't see it too well, but it has a little cross right in the center of it. When you stay in our guest cottage, the early morning sun shines through the stained glass and our visitors always tell us it is a heavenly experience.
So - it's called church. We never refer to it as anything else, and all our friends and family know what we're talking about when we say, "you can just stay in church."

My mother is planning to be here next week and I told her she could stay in the main house with us since the construction mess is just about over. She said, "No, I don't think so. I just want to stay in my little church."
That is Festus up there on the porch. He comes with church. It's his church, too. After all, at Hummingbird Farms we believe all animals go to heaven. If there are two different heavens, please send me to the animal one.


It's just a small little church with a little sitting area downstairs. Yes, I know - I have some country French curtain action going on with some Southwest looking pillows. Hey it's church, we don't discriminate.
The sofa makes out to a queen size bed. We use it all the time.

Now Festus is inside having a little snack. The pictures on the sofa table are from our trip to Africa in 2001. I'll have to tell you about that some day. Also, see the straw hat hanging by the door? I'll have to tell you about that in a minute.

This is the view when you walk in and look up at the loft.


This is looking down from the loft. Everyone loves the wood burning stove in the corner. It's really cozy on winter nights. My mom loves it!


These are the twin beds in the loft. It is here where you can get that heavenly experience when the sun shines in through the stained glass window every morning.

Those are some old shutters off the old farm house that are used for just that little bit of privacy you might want.


Okay, now the hat. Let me tell you about it. As I said earlier, church is also where Grandmother spent many, many nights. She loved it here. She always wore this hat when she was here. I can still see her wearing it with the bow tied under her neck. She would sit out on the porch in the morning and drink coffee and walk the lavender fields later in the day.

I have several possessions that once belonged to Grandmother, but the one thing I love the most is her hat. When we were cleaning out her little house in Alpine I found it sitting in a box that was going to The Salvation Army. I couldn't grab it out of there fast enough!


This is our guest book that sits on the coffee table. We love for our guests to sign the book. I always enjoy going back and reading all the entries and reminiscing about our visits. When you stay in church, PLEASE sign the book. I love it when you do that!

This is the last entry that my grandmother wrote on August 18th, 2004.

We sure do miss her.

6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a marvelous place... I'd love to be able to retreat there for a weekend just to savor the space (and meet Festus)!

Boyz3Mommy said...

OOOOOOOOOO ooo, how I love church. That is, of course, until Pancho and Lefty decide to bark and the scary things outside. :P

Want to come back and stay when things slow down for you all.

Miss you.

Thanks for your sweet post and don't you worry, that fat ole body aint getting a tatoo ever.

justabeachkat said...

Oh girl...I'd love to spend a night or three in your lovely sweet church! What a beautiful charming place. I love your remberances of your sweet grandmother.

Hope the lavender blooms soon.

Hugs!
Kat

diana said...

I love this story.. just love it... thank you so much for sharing your church with us.. I totally understand why your mom wants to stay in that cozy place...

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

That is a wonderful and charming place!

LivingTheLife said...

Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman...I know she was loved very much and is dearly missed.

I WANT to come to YOUR church...it looks...well, HEAVENLY!! I especially LOVE the wood burning stove...we actually had one of these when growing up...it heated a good portion of our house...I'll have to tell you that story one day...it is crazy and chock full of great memories....just like your church! I love that you named such a special place "Church"...I'm sure most that stay there feel very close to heaven while visiting!

Blessings...
Teresa