Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'm in the news!

Although I wasn’t expecting some sudden publicity, I got it. Kind of like the time several years ago when I wasn’t expecting to be brushed with fame at the St. Louis airport. I tee-teed next to Naomi Judd. You just never know when your chance will arrive...

First let me explain the Naomi Judd thing. We actually had the chance to become BFF’s, but I kind of blew it. I was at the St. Louis airport making a connecting flight. It was a tight connection and I was already taking a risk by making a pit stop before boarding – but, when you gotta go, you gotta go… I walked into the restroom behind another woman that entered the stall next to me. All I could see was the back of her high, red hair. Because I have a very inquiring mind, I was already kind of curious about the high-hair, red-headed lady because I noticed that the sky cap was waiting for her outside the restroom holding her carry-on’s (this was before 9/11). It struck me as odd because the carry-on’s didn’t look that heavy or large, but for some reason she was paying this guy to carry them for her. And they were expensive carry-on’s, too. Hmmmm….

So as I take care of business in my stall and exit, she is also exiting a couple of seconds ahead me. Again, all I could see was the back of her high, red hair. Then, as we were washing our hands I spotted her face in the mirror. Is it her? Could that possibly be Naomi Judd? Then I got REALLY curious when she went up to the cleaning lady in the restroom, handed her some cash (I couldn’t tell how much), and said to her as she placed the money in her hand, “You work hard for what you do, thank you.”

Well GAW-AW-LEE!!! Did that ever get my attention! Now I’m really intrigued. So we walk out of the restroom at about the same time and she looked dead center into my eyes and said “hello.” So of course I had to start gabbing right back. I’m sure she thought, “Why in the world, of all the people in this airport, did I have to say hello to chatty patty?” I said something to her like, “You are just one of my favorite people.” She responded with, “well, thank you – where are you headed?” So we start walking together down the terminal having conversation about where each of us is going (and of course I’m walking the opposite direction of where my flight is currently boarding), and the conversation starts flowing. Well, it’s flowing for me anyway, as in I can’t shut up. I mention to her that I had been in Nashville just a couple of weeks before and coincidentally met her publicist; she asked how I knew her publicist and I mentioned a mutual friend of ours (there really is 6 degrees of separation), and we just kept yakking. It was like a BFF reunion y’all – I’m serious! We could have just continued on our trip together, had dinner, and then gone to her house to chat it up with Ashley and Wynonna…

But then, all of a sudden I hear someone yell my name: “Debi…. DEBI… Is that you?” We both turn around and look and there is a man about 20 yards from us waving and smiling and saying, “It IS you, I thought that was you!”

How do I get myself in these situations??? I have my chance to become best friends with Naomi, and now I have this man prying me away from her. Imagine this y’all: I’m with Naomi Judd, and someone else is acting like they’re about to wet their pants because they just spotted ME. What is wrong with this picture? Not to mention that I REALLY need to be boarding my plane and I’m getting further and further away from the gate. Why is this man excited to see me and NOT Naomi? I wasn’t even Lavender Chick yet… I was just a Sales Chick.

Okay, Naomi and I are both standing there in mid-conversation and she’s actually waiting on me to see what we’re going to do. Are we going to keep walking and talking and finish our conversation? Am I going to ditch her for the man hollering my name? Am I going to totally ignore the man yelling my name and tell Naomi he's a weirdo and let's keep talking? What to do? What to do ….

So who’s the man? I know you’re wondering. If this wasn’t all just the worst timing y’all. At the time I was working in outside sales. This man just happened to be a VERY important customer; in fact, he was my TOP customer at the time and I was really trying to close him on some business. I was actually shocked that he even recognized me because he hardly ever gave me the time of day when I made sales calls on him. Let me put this into perspective for you. Say you were trying to sell a widget to Microsoft and Bill Gates all of a sudden wanted to talk to you. This was kind of the equivalent. Sort of – you know what I mean. He was the key decision maker of the key decision maker; just the fact that he knew my name was a big deal. Kind of like tee-teeing next to Naomi is kind of a big deal….

Naomi is looking at me with this look of, so what are you going to do? She’s actually waiting on ME to make a decision. Simultaneously, my name is being announced over the intercom for final boarding!!! Can you believe it? I’ve got the airlines, Naomi Judd, and the equivalent of Bill Gates all wanting a piece of me at the same exact nano-second. And of all places, I'm in the St. Louis airport, hundreds of miles from home.

When it rains it pours.

I’m completely frantic – DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS… Do I miss my flight? Do I blow off Naomi? Do I ignore Bill Gates?

At this point I just act like a total goon (I’m never calm under pressure), and say to Naomi, “I’m sorry but I have to go – he’s a really big customer and my flight is leaving and I was late before I ever started talking to you, I’m not even going the right direction to board my plane, and you see I’m in sales and that guy is just a real big deal, and I can’t ever see him in his office…” When I’m nervous I talk really fast, so I’m sure she didn’t get one word of what I was saying. I just remember saying “SEE YA” as I turned and walked towards my Bill Gates customer, leaving Naomi with her jaw dropped to the floor.

And you know what? I got moved off that big account about a month later and never even got to reap the benefits of blowing off Naomi for pseudo-Bill Gates… And you know what else? I told my Bill Gates-type customer that I was talking to Naomi Judd and he said, "I don't believe I know her, do you work together?"

So why am I telling you all this? Sorry, but I kind of got off-course. Imagine that. I really just wanted to tell you about chance happenings and that a story ran in the Dallas Morning News earlier this week about farmers that blog. I was actually mentioned in the article, which then led to the Texas Ag Commissioner, Todd Staples, mentioning the article on his blog. Who knew? Even the Ag Commissioner blogs…

As a result, I have had some really interesting visitors on my blog for the past several days, and I just wanted to say THANKS for stopping by and hope you keep visiting. Yes, this is a farm blog, but I get diarrhea of the mouth (I mean fingers, since I’m typing) and sometimes go off on tangents that don’t have a thing to do with farming. Kind of like what I’m doing right now, so I’ll just end here and go take a nap (or maybe a bubble bath).

I’ve exhausted myself.

14 comments:

Painted Groove Girl said...

Actually, despite said diarrhea of the fingers, reading your blog is much more time-effective than listening to this story in person. On the other hand, listening to any rambling tale of yours, with all the twists and turns and subplots and ancient history is probably one of my most favorite things ever.

Way to go.

Big Mama said...

Well, that is just too cool. All of it.

The Dallas Morning News. Naomi Judd. All of it.

Theresa said...

You crack me up!!!

Penny said...

This twisting tale is just priceless! You did much better than I would ever be able to do with someone I liked like Naomi. I freeze and forget where and who I am! If only you could have given her your card and then she could have graciously accepted it. Then your people could have called her people, and then you know, ....... darn!
OOOOOH, I don't like the Mr. Big with that company right now! But, that is SO nice that you were mentioned on the Dallas Morning News and then also the follow up on the Texa Ag Commissioner blog. Congrats on the publicity Debi!

Theresa said...

Oh, LC, just thought I'd tell you, the WonderHubby can be found at http://rosshines.blogspot.com/

He's even done a dog post already!

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Yes, you never know who will have a blog. Even a middleaged father who has the computer savy of a iguana.My best beloved has been talking me up, but I really do exist.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

ROFL, snorting, identifying with you, tears running down my face {fainting from laughter}....

Oh, thanks for the laugh, silly one!

Happy day, oh, and hey, come back for nesting week on Tuesday, will ya?

xo
Melissa

Emily said...

That's so cool!

I bought some of your Lavendar wash a few months ago at the Lavendar Market in Fredricksburg and love it!

kari and kijsa said...

Too funny!
Thank you for all your prayers and blessings!
Have a wonderful Labor Day,
kari & kijsa

Hill Country House Girl said...

You are so funny! I am randomly reading blogs tonight (instead of doing what I should be doing..) and decided to check in on you. I think I am going to start looking for you at HEB - or maybe the Farmers' Market -have you been, or are you a regular? Are you one of the lavender sellers?

I have no idea how I found it, but a former post of yours references Hays Town. I love his work!! Would love to know who your architect and builder was, or is? Sorry, I am sounding very nosy.

Love those poodles, too!

Paige said...

Well Ms LC I am impressed! Reading your blog is also one of the highlights of my day. Thanks again for your prayers! We are getting there day by day!

Stop by again soon!

Hugs,
Paige

Buffie said...

You are a hoot and a half!!! Love your blog girl! I'm a fellow Texan too....I can't believe you didn't get the account after all of that, what a jerk! lol!

Wanda said...

That is the coolest story! I am glad you shared it.

Too neat!

Raxx - A day in the life said...

This was HIlarious to read!! Dont ask how I found your blog, I'm just surfing this morning, greetings from Trinidad!!