Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Will The Circle Be Unbroken?

For those of you that have been keeping up with my crazy life on the farm and in a small town, you will recall that I have mentioned a time or two that I believe life always comes full circle. I started out this life in a small town, spending a big part of my childhood on my grandparent’s cotton farm.

I spent the first twenty years of my life trying to figure out how to become a big city girl and ditch the small town I grew up in. All I wanted out of life was to live in the city and have a cool apartment like Mary Tyler Moore. Well, I got myself a great pad in the city - only to spend the next twenty years trying to figure out how to be a small town girl again. See what I mean? Life comes full circle.

You might also remember how I told y’all a few weeks ago that I was on a diet. It all started after my bad haircut made me look frumpy. Then I realized, I don’t look frumpy – I AM frumpy.

My frump has come full circle.


I started out life as a frump with a poochy tummy and robust thighs.

Forty years later, I have a poochy tummy and robust thighs. NO – I’m not going to post a picture of me today in an orange bikini so you can see the similarities of today and forty years ago. You will just have to take my word for it…

My life AND my body has come full circle.

As I got to thinking about the full circle stuff, I realized that I’m built just like my grandmother. I even told Lisa the other day that I really need to lose weight and get in shape because when I was getting out of the tub I saw myself in the mirror and realized I looked just like my grandmother naked. I was completely mortified. ME – looking like my grandmother naked!


But then I realized that it’s what I have left of her.

It’s who I am.

It’s who she was.

6 comments:

LivingTheLife said...

Great way to look at life and things we can't change. I look at myself in the mirror (not any more than I HAVE to) and am reminded of how much I am built like my mother. I have to be honest with you...at times it has disturbed me ( I suppose none of us like looking older...it's not the "getting" older that is the problem...it's the "looking" older that hurts!)...but upon reading what you had to say...and knowing that I am so much healthier than my poor mother was at my age ( she had a stroke at 52...I will be 52 in April 09, plus she had lots of other health issues related to Rheumatoid Arthiritis)...well, I'm just thankful now that I can take a bath all on my own...and actually be able to see myself in a mirror...no matter how old I get!

Thanks for that wonderful reminder of how to successfully and whole-heartedly look at life...yes, It does come full circle...and THANK GOD for that!

Blessings...
Teresa

Painted Groove Girl said...

well I can't go there with you yet.... but great blog. Great thoughts. I'm still fighting the big fight of resistance.

Penny said...

Teresa summed it up perfectly in that it's not the getting older, but the looking older that bothers us.

Just for the record I think the circle you made making your dreams come true by leaving the small town, being successful in a big city, and then being able to listen to your heart and return to the small town complete with awesome husband, cool animals and your very own business is pretty darn cool. You've done a great job piloting your life, so I'm pretty confident you're going to manage to keep the frump away. LOL

By the way, your grandmother is a beautiful lady and you sure can see how proud she is of you in this pic. Cute!!!

Penny said...

Meant to say that you've been DOING a great piloting your life.

:-)

Penny

justabeachkat said...

Oh Girl, I sooooo know what you mean. I try VERY hard not to look in the mirror as I get out of the tub or shower. I love it when the mirrors get foggy. hehehe!

How's your dieting going? I'm doing pretty good lately. Yeah me!

Hugs!
Kat

Buffie said...

Oh amen to that! Hey we're all dealing with either looking like our mothers or grandmothers but you're right it's who we are!