Saturday, January 10, 2009

I’m too tired to sleep because I have insomnia. And a ghost…

I have no idea what has caused this current bout of insomnia. I generally sleep like a baby, but I do have an episode about once a year when I can’t sleep. Unfortunately, it’s that time of year. One of my problems that yields my inability to go to sleep is the darn ritual I have to go through in order to go to bed….

My friend Sami and I always talk about how we’re too tired to go to bed. Do you understand what we’re talking about? This whole week I was dead-dog tired; simply too tired to go to sleep. You see, by the time I drag my aching bones to bed I have to detour into the bathroom for the face washing ritual. For some reason, the older I get the longer this ritual is taking. I suppose it’s because every year I have to add another step or layer for my face….

Anyway, by the time I do all this, which includes 5 minutes of splashing water all over my face, I’m wide awake. So I lie in bed, wide awake AND exhausted, and stare… How is it possible to be wide awake, but exhausted???

I finally decided that perhaps my insomnia was due to the fact that my ghost was missing me and needed me in my old bedroom. YES – I said it y’all…. MY GHOST! I have this sweet little lady that lives in our old farmhouse. I really don’t like to refer to her as a ghost, but as a spirit. Many of y’all know that we’ve been involved in some construction for quite some time while adding on to the old farmhouse. We’ve moved into our newly constructed bedroom which is actually quite pleasant. My little ghost, however, doesn’t go into the new part of the house; she’s just not into change. So – because I was so tired of being tired, and had read everything there was to read on my bedside table, I grabbed my pillow and headed upstairs to my old bedroom and slept like a baby.

She was calling me home…

Oaky – so I’ve said it… I’ve admitted to having a ghost. She’s actually very friendly and has spoken to me. YES – I said that, too: SHE SPOKE TO ME. So now that you all think I’m nuts (and you could be right) I’m going to end here. I do have an interesting story about her… but, trying to put it on paper is all so very complicated. Also, out of respect to her family (which some are still living and I have met), I don’t want to say too much until they’ve given me their blessing. I will say this – she’s friendly and sweet and I’m not the least bit scared.

She gives me peace...

And she has rockin’ long brunette hair!

11 comments:

Diane said...

Hi Deb!
I quite understand the nightly ritual. I don't sleep well unless I take a bath first & often times that wakes me up. You'd think I'd have enough sense to take a bath early, but no, I turn into a little kid putting it off...

At least you know who lives with you. We had something in our old house. We lived there for 20 years. At first we'd hear sounds like a gameshow on tv loud enough to hear the crowd but not the words. If we got up & walked down the hall, it would go away. A few years after we moved in, my hubby had fallen asleep on the sofa & woke up to see a young Indian in native dress standing in front of him. Scared my dh to death! He was asking all kinds of questions & no answers of course. The ghost looked at him, then turned & walked down the hall & disappeared. That was the only time Steve saw an apparition.

My dad passed away in 1994. Last summer Steve & a helper were clearing out my dad's workshop. The helper saw the ghost of a man with white hair & wearing overalls staring at the wall where shelves had been hanging. Guess my dad's spirit didn't move on.

Bridget said...

Wow, my friend Justine is going to flip. She is obsessed with the show Ghost Hunters! I have goose bumps. That is so cool. I don't think you are nuts. I hope you get some sleep.
Bridget

Buffie said...

Sorry to hear you're not getting sleep but if a friendly spirit helps get you there, then I say it go for it. I don't think you're nuts at all! I've never seen or heard a spirit before, I would love to hear this nice lady's story!
Fasinating!!!
Buffie :)

Justine said...

Hi Deb! This is my first time here... coming through Bridget's blog on her suggestion. She knows I am addicted to Ghost Hunters and whole-heartedly believe in spirits, so to me, this was one great read!

I'd love to hear more about your resident friend, so get to working on that post. I'm adding you to my blog list, and hope you get a chance to come visit me too.

Justine :o )

Lavender Chick said...

So far ya'll are making me feel pretty good about not being nuts. If I didn't know me, I would think I was crazy. Wait a minute... I do know me. I AM crazy!!!

Jill said...

Hi Deb
I came from my great friend Bridgets blog and my sister Justine also told me about this post! How interesting! My sister is so into the paranormal and she and I are thrilled to have found your blog! It's strange becasue before this post my sister and I were having a conversation about ghosts possibly living in my house and insomnia! You'll have to come check out my last two posts :)

Jill

justabeachkat said...

Deb

You're not nuts and you're not the only one who has seen ghosts. Yep, I said ghosts...as in two. I'd love to hear more about yours.

Hugs!
Kat

Lori said...

Hi Deb. . .I come from a family who sees ghosts. My daughter and mother have more experiences with them than I do. We all went through a short time about a year ago seeing doppelgangers which was really weird. A friend of mine's home is very active and I've gotten some great pictures there.

I know what you mean about being too tired to sleep. It's such an awful feeling!! I hope it passes soon so you can get some much needed sleep!

Justine said...

More posts! More posts! MORE POSTS!!!!!!!!

Justine :o )

The Polka Dotted Owl said...

Wow, I would be utterly freaked out if I had a ghost. I have left you an award on my blog. Check it out when you can:) Hope you get some sleep, and that crazy ghost leaves you in peace.

matthew said...

I love how calm and content you are about it. I've had what I would call a shadow of a woman that stands at the right corner of my bedside when I sleep, and it has been there my whole life in all the places I've lived. I've learned that they are Difficult to ignore, easy to fear. Alas, they are neutral -- neither good nor evil, and that they are stubborn about disappearing. One thing they definitely aren't is self aware. They have no awareness of you or anything. They are like invisible robots going about a programmed routine without you. I think more times than not, ghosts are confused by your attention to them. They have an agenda based on a goal long expired.