Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hummingbird Farms is the place to be!

Jack and I had a great visit in California and can't wait to go back! We did what we always do as soon as we got off the plane at LAX. We first drove through In-N-Out Burger for Jack, and then straight to Wahoo's for fish tacos for me! I proceeded to eat fish tacos everyday for lunch for four days, and Jack proceeded to eat an In-N-Out burger everyday for four days. When people ask me what I miss most about living in LA, it's always - Fish Tacos!

Of course I had to squeeze in a burger, too, because you know - it's just not American to go to L.A. and not eat an In-N-Out burger! When Jack and I were dating and he was living in Dallas and I was in L.A., he wanted me to check into Fed Ex'ing an overnight In-N-Out burger to him. We decided it could be done, but the buns would probably get way too soggy, hence ruining his love for In-N-Out. It simply wouldn't be worth compromising such a work of art.

So anyway, we get off the plane and I get that immediate giddy, high-energy feeling I always get when I visit my Manhattan's - that would be Manhattan as in Manhattan Beach, south of Los Angeles, and Manhattan as in New York City. I love me some Manhattan! I just love me some city!




So my head is spinning with pure excitement and joy to be in Los Angeles again. I'm thinking to my self, I AM a city-girl, really I am - this is where I'm supposed to be....


We enjoy our entire time there. Of course we had some really good food - we did manage to break away from Wahoo's and In-N-Out for some other fine fare. Notice I said, "other fine fare." Wahoo's IS fine fare! We also enjoyed just hanging out and soaking up the California scene and all the pretty people. All the skinny people that is...

Good Lord! Some of those girls were just WAY too skinny. I felt sorry for them! In fact, when one girl walked by I told Jack that someone needed to give that poor thing a piece of pie. Bless her heart!

The weather couldn't have been better. It was absolutely perfect, in fact. And so we had a wonderful time in sunny Southern California.



But then it came time to go home. Of course I was missing my animals, but life in the city was sure good for a change. I kind of felt like me again...

And then we landed back in Austin. As I got off the plane there was a Bob Wills song playing on the intercom and that familiar I'm home feeling actually felt quite nice. As we left the airport and got deeper into the Hill Country, I felt myself relax. My heart rate sort of slowed down a few beats. I noticed how the sky opened up and I was surrounded by miles and miles of Texas; it made me feel small. It made me smile on the inside.

Then we drove into the gate to Hummingbird Farms and the cows greeted us from the pasture. As I walked into the house, Birdie was so excited to see me she sprinkled all over herself, me, and the floor. Oh well - a little tee-tee never hurt anybody! And Big just kept jumping up and down, up and down; all the while, my kitty Festus was walking figure eight's between my ankles, wrapping his tail across my calves. Lupe was chirping a mile a minute, saying, "I'm over here in my cage, come get me, come get me!"

And then I saw a huge pile of cow manure just outside the dining room window where Bob had spent the last 4 days staring in wondering where we all were.



And that's when I said to myself, this is where I'm supposed to be.... Hummingbird Farms is the place to be!

24 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Deb, I'm glad you had a grand time in LA. My hubby just got back from San Diego yesterday and it was raining like mad there.
In-n-Out is da bomb and I have only been to Wahoo a couple of time but had great food, their tortilla soup is yummy. Can you believe that I have not tried their fish tacos? I would rectify that situation ASAP but I'm heading to Utah next week. I will be certain to find my way to Wahoo and get a taco as soon as I can though.
I know how it feels to step foot into the Austin airport! It's like everything is right with the world. God bless Texas! I'm glad you are home with the critters again.
Hugs, Bridget

Bridget said...

Ooops, my daughter obviously had signed in to Google on my laptop!

Bridget said...

Oops again, last comment I promise! I loved the comment about "someone needs to give that girl a piece of pie!" It is painful to look at girls like that. How anyone can find beauty in that kind of emaciation is beyond me.

Theresa said...

Glad you had a good trip, but I'm glad you're back home to blog about it!

I love the way animals do things to get their human's attention when they first get home.

LivingTheLife said...

Well, I can't believe we were both in the lovely state of California at the same time. I was in Sacramento...from Thursday Jan. 29th through Thursday, Feb. 5th...initially I was just suppose to be there for a long weekend, looking at houses...but ended up staying a bit longer...b/c I got food poisoning the first day I was there, so that derailed a complete day of house hunting. I'm pretty sure it was food poisoning and it was probably from the AA food...I'm sure...b/c if it HAD been In-n-Out...I would be devastated! I didn't get to In-n-Out this time...but I will be going back and will stock up!

Thanks for your comment on my blog...I'm VERY interested in hearing what you come up with....I've got the names of a couple new cardiologists in Dallas that have been highly recommended by folks that actually have had great results with them...so I'll be putting them on my list of docs to interview...this is exhausting...wish I could just count on a doc doing his/her job w/o me having to research and question everything...but I guess that's what they mean when they say we have to be our own advocates. Thanks for the help...

Blessings...
Teresa

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Every thing you spoke of is foreign to me since I have never been west of St. Louis. I do understand being greeted by happy pets though.

Greyeyes said...

Hey Deb, Glad you guys had a great time "abroad"..lol It's always nice to come home that's for sure. As for the Burger Philosophy, there are many schools of thought on what constitutes a fine burger. In-N-Out has a good one, but arguably is missing a few of the more subtle constituents that truly define what a great burger is. However, i miss BJ's at 28th and Golder in Odessa so i certainly understand the need. As for Fish Tacos, ew.... Orvis 5wt., tailrace Canyon Lake, campfire, cast iron skillet, tortillas are optional.
great written voice, be well, D

shaybert said...

We do the same thing when we land in Cali, head to In-N-Out but Rubio's is the place for fish tacos. Oh, and Tommy's for rotgut chili burgers. Glad you're home because there's no place like home.
Blessings, Shay

Tamstyles said...

Sweet blog missy! Thanks for stopping by mine.

Justine said...

OMG, you've got a cow named BOB that looks through your window! This cracked me up so much I nearly peed myself like your bird!
You may have done this in the past and I just don't know it, but if you haven't, can you do a whole post with pics of all your pets? I wanna see!

I love southern CA, but our vaca there in 2007 was to San Diego in August. It was HOT!!!!!!!

Justine :o )

Boyz3Mommy said...

I just love you. And I'm glad you're back home...where you are meant to be. I'd miss ya if you went way back over yonder for a while again!

justabeachkat said...

Oh Girl! My mouth is literally watering just thinking about In 'N Out burgers. We'll be in Palm Springs next month and we both can.not.wait!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you had a good time, but, there really is "no place like home".

Hugs!
Kat

Painted Groove Girl said...

OMG Greyeyes, whoever you are...BJ's at 28th and Golder in Odessa ... I used to live on Golder in Odessa. I thought I was the only one who even knew where and what that was....

Wow. it's an itty bitty tiny little world isn't it?

Paige's Petals said...

Welcome Home! I do love visiting Cali too!

cottage farm villa (cottagecharm) said...

When I saw the In-n-Out, I was wondering.....what, are they opening in Texas????? But then as I read your post, I saw you were in LA! Lovely SoCal!!! I haven't been back for 3 years, and now that I have been blogging since NOV and talking to so many in CA, or visiting...I am getting a bit homesick for the flowers, weather, beaches and everything (30 years familiar)..... my husband and my son have been back to CA to visit...but when they got back to Texas, they had the same feeling that you described. Southern California is so beautiful, so fun, so alive...but there is something about Texas that just grabs your heart. What is it?

Happy you had a wonderful time. Jealous...just a little. I know when the grass get greener than green here in a couple of months...and the sunsets are unbelievable...I will be having my breath taken away....almost as much as looking at the Pacific...but nothing can compare to that feeling, now can it?

Your description of all your animals was priceless!!! ~Cheryl

Hill Country House Girl said...

Just clicked over to you and Green Acres came blaring out of my computer!..... and I just told my daughter to get off the computer and go to bed.......you are too funny. I know what you mean about being away and then getting back to the hill country - aren't we blessed to live here. Welcome back!

Connie said...

Hi Deb...I know what you mean...when I travel to different places I love it and think I could live here and then I go back home and you just know that this is truly HOME and where you are supposed to be! My boys love IN-n-Out too and Wahoo Fish tacos! You guys have good taste. Glad you enjoyed some of our fabulous spring weather! Connie

Connie said...

By the way! Happy Valentine's Day! Connie

YaYa's Funhouse said...

what a lovely story. Like "Dorothy" says, there's no place like home!!

Ron Centeno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ron Centeno said...

It just warms your heart to come home to pets who are excited to see you. :-)

Mrs. B. Silly said...

Hi Deb, Are things still humming along at Hummingbird Farms? Is Bob doing well?
I'm just getting caught up after my trip. It really is nice to be back home!
Hugs, Bridget

justabeachkat said...

Where are you now? Stop by...I've tagged you with an award/meme.

Hugs!
Kat

Hill Country House Girl said...

Yep. You need to go to Main Street. Isn't it funny how shops can come and go and we never even know it. We eat at Bejas in the evenings sometimes, so I get to window shop right around there. I'm thinking you need to open one of those places with the fish tacos - couldn't we use a few more choices of places to eat? Thanks for your visit and have fun at Something Different II!!