Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Good Year

I mentioned to ya'll a while back that our website crashed... Technology can be a real pain in the rear sometimes. Anyway, as we're in the rebuilding phase, our new web designer asked me to send her some pictures of the farm. As I went through old pictures I started realizing, WOW! We can grow lavender! Not only can we grow the stuff, but we can do something with the stuff! So - I wanted to share some of the pictures with you.

The beauty of a good farm year. This was taken two harvest years ago early in the morning. How we hope for one more good year...



A close up of Lavendula Angustifolia, also know as "true lavender." Most of the lavender grown in the hill country is Intermedia, or a lavender cross/hybrid. All lavender has its place (we also grow Intermedia), but "true lavender" is the best of the best in terms of quality oil and what we primarily grow at Hummingbird Farms. It is the same oil you would find in very fine perfumes. It is also the oil that goes into our body care products. Look at those fine little fuzzy buds, filled full of sweet lavender oil.
You can see in the back of the field a little pointy copper thing sticking up. That is our steam distiller (the 'still'); it's how we distill the lavender for its oil. This picture also shows how the many different varieties bloom at different times. The first few rows you see are just beginning to bloom, and is our Provence variety which is an intermedia. We use it mainly for dried buds for making sachets and other crafts. The rows just in front of the still are actually in bloom and ready for distillation. Now look behind the still and to the right. That's another field of angustifolia for distillation; it's in full bloom.



Another picture of blooming fields early in the morning, and BEFORE the drought...




This is a close up of the still. It's also a good picture that shows all the different varieties and their varying blooming time.




This variety is about to pop and ready for the still!



A half a row of harvested lavender ready for the drying barn.




Another row of harvested lavender.... How we hope for another good bloom year. We have lost a number of plants due to the drought. It makes me so sad. But - hey, that's the life of a farmer, right? Good years and not so good years... We will have to do quite a bit of over-hauling of the fields this year due to the plants we've lost. It makes me sad...


Okay - on another note, and so that I can switch my thoughts away from the devastation of the drought, I want to send a big THANK YOU to The Pampered World, who tagged me a while back. Better late than never, I'm going to play along. You can play along, too, if you like....
The numbering was off when I got tagged. I suppose it's because so many people have been tagged it got all scrambled up over the various times it was forwarded. It doesn't even start with number one, but number two. And, then there were several numbers that just skipped. Is it because someone decided they didn't like the question so passed on it??? Who knows... I took the liberty of making up my own question for number one.

1. I could never live without (fill in the blank): My Spanx and my animals.

2. Where is your significant other? Outside visiting with his aunt and cousin. I'm being very un-sociable right now and should be out there with them....

3. Your hair color? Blonde. Although I have to help it out with highlights to cover the gray and keep me from looking all washed out, I am a natural blonde.... Be quiet! Yes, I am!

6. Your favorite thing? Gosh, how can I possibly list one favorite thing? I have MANY favorite things. Right now my favorite thing is my hummingbird feeder(s). The hummers are back for the summer and I get much, much pleasure from watching them.

7. Your dream last night? I am known to have some pretty wild dreams, but for some reason I cannot remember my dream last night....

8. Your goal? To continue to grow our body care business and develop more great products.

11. Your fear? Being locked up in a small space. AND not having enough Tabasco for my bloody mary.

12. Where do you want to be in six years? Living right here at Hummingbird Farms and watching our lavender grow....

13. Where were you last night? Home with Jack, his Aunt Evelyn, cousin David, and Denise and Brian. We had a wonderful dinner and GREAT bottle of Bordeaux. It was fabulous. Great family visit!

14. What you are not? Closed-minded.
15. What’s on your wish list? Well, my ten year anniversary is coming up. A gold Rolex would be nice....

16. Where you grew up? In the Big Bend of Texas and proud of it! I grew up in Alpine, Texas; a beautiful spot in Texas in the lovely Davis Mountains. It will ALWAYS be home to me.

18. What you are wearing? Pajamas... Yes, it's after lunch. Is that so wrong???

19. Your computer? Laptop, Gateway. Red.

22. Your mood? Relaxed and happy.

26. Favorite story? A story my mother-in-law told me about Jack when he was in 1st grade.

27. Your Summer? Hopefully harvesting lavender... Did you hear that Mother Nature????

28. Love someone? Okay - is this a real question? Would anyone ever answer that they don't love someone? Yes. I love someone - I love lots of someone's... The Lord, my husband, my family, my relatives, my friends...

29. Your favorite color? Yellow. It makes me smile.

30. When was the last time you laughed? Just a little bit ago. I was on Justine's blog over at Tiney's Froggy Bloggy. I laughed out loud. Real loud! She always makes me laugh out loud. Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee at the time. I would have spewed....

9 comments:

justabeachkat said...

Gorgeous photos of the lavender fileds! Just gorgeous! I pray this year will be the best one yet.

I enjoyed reading your answers.

Hugs!
Kat

Diane @ Four Paws and Co said...

Deb, you photos are so beautiful! Loved all your answers too! ☺♥☺ Diane

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

I can just imagine how wonderful those fields of lavender must smell! I love lavender and your's is really pretty and lush. Very interesting post! Susan

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Your still doesn't look like the one's that I have seen. Great pics. Too bad that they weren't scratch & sniff pictures.

nanny said...

Beautiful pictures of your lavender fields! I love your blog! I really love the pet 10 commandments, did you write those? I'm gonna have to type those and print.

Justine/Justiney/Tiney said...

Oh wow Deb, I loved look at all of these pictures! Why do you keep the still in the middle of the field? During a drought, don't you have sprinklers for the pretties? Why is your favorite color yellow? It's supposed to be purple dammit!
I noticed that you name all of your sweet animals. Are those cows just pets, or will they some day be on my dinner plate? (gulp) Say it ain't so! I don't wanna eat Marsha!
Ummm.... I know I had another question, but that bitch just flew right out my head.
Btw... thank you for the shout-out you sweet thang you!

Justine :o )

Theresa said...

I love the pics of your lavender fields. I never knew there were so many different types of lavender!

Your answers had me giggling.

YaYa's Funhouse said...

I love the lavender. The smell there must be incredible. Great pics.

Lavender Dreamer said...

I am SO thrilled to find you blog! I was at Cynthia's cottage! I'm going to put a link to yours on my blog list! THANKS!