Sunday, May 24, 2009

What's a festival without some rain? Or a 10-year anniversary without mustard greens?

So the rain was a little fierce on the first day of the Becker Lavender Festival.... For whatever reason the rain never comes when it's convenient, but we'll still take it when we can get it.


I took this picture from our booth. This was before the rain started collecting by the gallon on top of our tent.... And before part of tent got severely weighed down with water and decided to give just as I was below it. This led to being drenched with 3 gallons of water being poured right over my head. I was literally soaked! There was nothing dry on my body! Fortunately we're only a hop, skip, and jump from Becker Vineyards so I was able to run home (although I could have used a boat) and change into something dry.

But by Sunday the sun came out and more people decided to come hang out on the beautiful grounds of Becker Vineyards.



And for some reason, everyone that brought their dog seemed to have little white fluffy dogs. I kind of wanted to grab one and run!



We had a good time in spite of the rain that led to a slow day on Saturday. But - we were okay with it because it just gave the vendors time to shop with each other. Oh - and participate in wine tastings!


Some of my wonderful findings were:


Miller Creek's Lavender Margarita Mix. It's a great gift item and also a lot of fun to have for parties, specifically bridal showers and parties! But just so you know, I've not come across a man yet that hasn't said, "hey, this is good!"




Wimberley Lavender Farm soy travel candles. I love soy candles and these are some of the best ones I've come across. They actually use real lavender oil for fragrance, not a synthetic scent. I love how Karen has put them in a small travel tin. Since I travel a lot I love to keep one in my suitcase for my hotel room. Nothing like a little relaxation while travelling. Especially when staying in a hotel room with that recycled, musty hotel room air....


Becker Vineyards "Iconoclast" Cabernet Sauvginon. It has a light and subtle spicey kick to it with full fruit flavors. It's medium-dry with surprisingly light tannins. It's a great buy for $10. So good, we bought a case!


We had an enjoyable weekend, although a little on the exhausting side. Oh - and get this. It was also a weekend that included both our 10-year anniversary and my birthday.... When it rains, it pours. Literally.


So what did we do for our 10-year anniversary?

We had all intentions of at least going out for a nice dinner. But - by the time we both got home around 7:30 we were exhausted. We talked about freshening up and just going out; after all, it was our anniversary. The more we thought about it the more we realized that it wasn't such a great idea. By the time we would have freshened up and driven to town, it would have been close to 9:00. Then we decided to just run to the grocery store to pick something up to cook at home. Well, that would have required some energy and ambition - none of which we had at the moment. So - what did we do? I rummaged through the pantry and found a can of mustard greens. Yes, mustard greens. We also had all the ingredients needed for some homemade macaroni and cheese.


Our 10-year anniversary was memorable with a dinner of mustard greens, mac & cheese, and a bottle of Becker Vineyards Iconoclast! mmmm-good!!!!! Oh - and a lot of good laughs over our romantic meal. We did manage to light some candles around the table for ambiance. Mustard greends by candlelight. So romantic!

Lastly, I know I said a couple of posts ago that I would be sharing with you some of my horrible blind dates that led up to my last wonderful blind date. Well - that was before I got bogged down with lavender stuff. What seemed like a great idea at the time ended up giving me panic attacks when I would think back to all those awful dates. But - if you're still interested, you can read about my last-ever blind date (the one that led to being united with my Miracle Man) that I wrote 2 years ago here.


Jack & Debi, May 1999, honeymoon-bound to the Four Seasons at Nevis, West Indies. I think Jack still has a look of shock on his face....

Have a wonderful Memorial Day!!!

11 comments:

Diane @ Four Paws and Co said...

Deb, you tell the most wonderful stories! Happy belated birthday and 10th anniversary! You know it doesn't matter what or where you eat to celebrate, just have fun & enjoy each other as you share the time together.

Great post & hope you did well at the festival - rain & all! ☺ Diane

Penny said...

I had a few gallons fall on my head like that at a dinner party I was hosting. OMG it was so embarrasing. Thank goodness the food hadn't been placed under the tent yet. I just cracked up laughing at how insane what had happened! I can see you doing the same thing! Now I know to use a little stick to let some down at a time. tee heeeee
I'm still enjoying the lavender lotion and what I love is how it keeps your skin moist for the whole day. It is just the best. Thank you again Deb!
Happy 10th anniversary!
Hugs,
Penny

Dixie said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend and anniversary celebration to me! Happy Days! Dixie

Nancy and the fatties said...

Deb, I hope you had good sales despite the drenching! happy anniversary. Don't blame you for wanting one of those cute little fluffy dogs, what's one more if you've already got four?

Justine said...

Okay, all that rain on Saturday had to suck, but boy oh boy do I wish I had been there to see the tent take a dive and you get all drenched. Ooh, funny stuff!

Your anniversary dinner? Blechhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! I don't think I've ever even had those greens, but I sure wouldn't want them out of a can! Blechhhhhhhh again! I'm thinking it was probably a farty night under the sheets too.

Glad to have you back!

Justine :o )

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

I got soaked once while moving some of my daughter's things after she got married. I couldn't have been wetter if I had showered with my clothes on.
Homemade macaroni & cheese-yum, mustard greens-only if I'm starving.

justabeachkat said...

We've had our share of rain rain rain ourselves. Happy Anniversary to you and your sweet cowboy.

Hugs!
Kat

YaYa's Funhouse said...

Yes, we have had lots of rain also. It is suppose to rain for the next 5 days as well. Not complaining, because when it stops it usually will be dry, dry....
Anyway, sound like you had a good anniversary! Great post.

Connie said...

Happy Anniversary! We've had our share of small celebrations but don't think I've ever had mustard greens. Sorry you got all wet but it sounds like you ended up with some good wine. Connie

Greyeyes said...

Loved your post. Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary and i loved your romantic meal. Just so's you know, i always seem to get a bottle of iconoclast for my birthday and another one for Christmas (from the same friend). He says he gives it to me, well iconoclast, you figure it out. be well, D

LivingTheLife said...

Happy belated birthday and anniversary! I went back and re-read your blind-date story with miracle man. I had read it before...it made me smile then and even more so now that I know you better. It sounds a lot like my first date (blind date) with my sweet hubbin...33 years ago next month...yea, we went on a blind date in June of 06...married in Feb. 07...I was just like you...I knew right away I would be marrying him.

What a lovely thing when 2 people love and know each other so well that any dinner shared is special...no matter what is on the menu...I mean for goodness sakes a PBJ sandwich would be great to me...as long as I could share it w/my hubbin.

Blessings...
Teresa