Friday, June 5, 2009

My horse's tee tee is better than your horse's tee tee

I know I've been gone for a bit. Time just seems to really fly by these days. Anyway, I've been busy doing my regular stuff during the day (the real job) which keeps me quite occupied. In the evenings when I'm home I've been a little preoccupied with a couple of new residents here at Hummingbird Farms.

No! It's not another cowboy, but a couple of new horses.


In fact, Abe (the dog) and Festus (the cat) have been standing watch over them ever since they got here. They just kind of hang out on the old John Deere and sit and stare. Not sure if they're trying to let them know who's boss, or if they think they're guarding us from them.

So here they are! Our 2 new adolescent Thoroughbreds... Yes, they are your typical long and lanky pre-teenagers (would that be a tween?) that haven't grown into themselves yet. They're going to be big! They are only yearlings and will continue to grow until they're 5 or 6.


Here's the story: They came to us via Canada. Have you ever heard of the Premarin horses? Sorry if I gross any of you out, but facts are facts. Premarin is a very common hormone replacement therapy. I don't have a problem at all with Premarin. Believe me - I have my fair share of hot flashes and completely understand why anyone would want to take something to phase those suckers out. I simply can't take hormone replacement therapy due to my health history.
Anyway, Premarin is made from horse urine; pregnant horse urine. I know, I know, it sounds disgusting. But at one time during my hot flash laden years, I would have sucked horse urine from a straw if it would have helped!

Premarin: PREgnant MARe urINe.

Nowadays they primarily use a synthetic in Premarin which has eliminated almost all farms that used to house these pregnant mares for urine collection (thank goodness!). However, once they shut down most of these farms the horses had nowhere to go. And - the babies from these pregnant mares were in abundance. They didn't have anywhere to go either.

So our two new horses are babies from stock of what used to be Premarin horses. Come to find out, these Premarin horses are from really good blood lines. Apparently, urine from royalty is better than just plain ole urine. Who knew?

One of our babies is a grandson of Seattle Slew and the other one is a grandson of Mr. Prospector!


Regardless of their bloodlines and their royal pee, we're just happy to have them here. The poodles think they're pretty cool and have decided drinking from their water trough if pretty cool, too! I think they must be thinking if they drink from the water trough they will grow up to be big just like them....

Have a great weekend, and I'll try to be a better blogger.... Here lately there's just been too much to do and see outside versus being inside and on the computer. All is well at Hummingbird Farms!

15 comments:

Diane @ Four Paws and Co said...

You're so awesome to rescue these guys. They're just gorgeous big babies. I loved all your pictures Deb. Thanks for sharing them!!! ☺♥☺ Diane

Laura said...

Oh gosh. Covet,covet.
I bought 3 little lavendar plants half price at KMart today, and now I want a horse...

What next?

Laura

Painted Groove Girl said...

the one thing you left out is their names ... you're always a good one for names... and I don't know the sexes, but I'm thinking Sam and Lisa or Paige & Ruby sound good...

Kat said...

Wow, you really do have your hands full. I love all your babies, big and small...horses, cats and dogs. And you haven't mentioned your bird in awhile.

Hugs!
Kat

Hill Country House Girl said...

Thanks for checking in! I love your horses and I do take Premarin - tried to give it up but still having those flashes!! I also love your poodles. I don't tell many people this, but we have six, yes I said SIX dogs, and two cats - and two daughters! One day we have to meet - I think about you every time I go to Austin and drive by Hummingbird Farm!!

Sand Flat Farm said...

Never knew there were pregnant mare farms, nor babies from them that needed rescue. I just never thought about it! They are purty animals. You're gunna have alot of fun with those guys!

LivingTheLife said...

Ohhh! how I love horses...I think along w/dogs and deer they are some of God's most beautiful animal creations.

Do you think Birdie and Bo are actually drinking from the "royal pee" horses trough thinking that maybe if they drink enough...they will be touted as royal peeing dogs??? Just an observation...maybe they just want to be included in that whole Royal thing! In fact upon reading your post and seeing that at one point you would have drank that stuff through a straw...about MADE me pee myself from laughing...and no I have no royality in me! DRAT!

Blessings...
Teresa

The French Bear said...

I can see why you were busy, they are stunning!!!! Love them!!! I like the picture of the two cohorts on the tractor!! He he they are so cute!!
Cheers,
Margaret B

Penny said...

I didn't know this about Premarin. Thanks for the explanantion of the name, I think. LOL You learn something everyday! Loved your pictures. The horses are so beautiful and so lucky to have found such a great home with such lovely people!

Painted Groove Girl said...

just noticed in their lineage description that they're grandsons ... which would make them male ... ok. I'm up to speed now.

Theresa said...

Congratulations on your new babies! Now you have some horses for your cowboy to work with! lol

Mrs. B. Silly said...

I finally blogged about how wonderful Hummingbird Farms lotion is!

Nancy and the fatties said...

Deb, congrats on your latest batch of rescue critters! I used to write about Premarin when I worked for a horse magazine, this is a fascinating story! pee ess - sorry you missed seeing Lyle L - my hubby would have driven all the way out there for that!
hugs from Flower Mound...

Justine said...

OmG, how exciting! they're just beautiful. You've got me a bit confused though. I thought yours was just a lavender farm, but now you're adding real live farm animals? Who's going to take care of all of them? I know horses are a lot of work. Do you still have the stray cowboy staying with you?

Justine :o )

Connie said...

And this is another reason I love blogging to learn something I would not have looked into. Thanks for the Premarin info. The horses are beautiful...don't forget your black beauty that looks in your windows at ya though!

Sorry you missed seeing Lyle!

Connie