Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lavender French Toast Bake


Since my derriere is expanding and I know I need to do something about it, I'm doing what I always do before making the plunge into the 'D' word.... I'm eating all my favorite things.

Why do I do that? Am I the only person that does that?

The more I realize I need to do something about the poundage, the more I fantasize about my favorite things. This then leads me to having to lose the weight I gained while preparing to go on a diet. Therefore, I just pretty much stay at my baseline weight....

Last night while powdering my robust butt and thighs after taking a luxurious lavender bubble bath, I thought of something else I like to powder: French Toast with a powdering of powdered sugar....

At that very moment I just knew I would wake up with a hankering for my lavender french toast bake. I mean - why not? It would be Sunday.... Who diets on Sunday? So - I went to the kitchen in my robe with my powdered buns wiggling while I walked and prepared for my breakfast feast:

Lavender French Toast Bake:
1 stick of butter
1-1/4 cups of packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons of maple syrup (or any other pancake syrup)
1 large loaf of bread with crusts removed (I have found that denser, nuttier breads are best)
1 teaspoon dried culinary lavender buds
1-1/2 cups half-and-half
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Pour half-and-half and lavender in a small saucepan and warm gently over low to moderate heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside and let cool.

In a small saucepan, melt butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup over moderate heat, stirring until smooth and sugar dissolved. Pour into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Arrange bread slices in one layer over the sugar mixture. Fitting the bread slices tightly is best.

In a bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pour half-and-half through a strainer to remove lavender buds. Add the lavender infused half-and-half to egg mixture. Whisk into egg mixture and pour over the bread slices. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.

When you awake the next morning from a blissful night of lavender dreams, go into the kitchen and take the casserole out of the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature while pre-heating the oven to 350. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Serve hot with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a light drizzle of maple syrup. I like to serve it with fresh fruit. Jack likes it with bacon.

This is a great dish for Easter or Mother's Day breakfast/brunch. Or in my case, great for the before the diet diet. I have also enjoyed making it for breakfast or brunch for brides on the morning of the big day. I gain great joy in tempting the emaciated bride with french toast.... Am I evil?

Enjoy!

P.S. Be sure you use culinary grade dried lavender buds. If you are using fresh lavender, double the amount to 2 teaspoons. Let me know if you're unsure about how to confirm you are using culinary grade lavender. Maybe I need to post about culinary lavender?

15 comments:

Betty G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betty G said...

LOL! I love your comment about powdering your robust butt! You are a gal after my own heart! What a hoot! I like your idea about eating your favorite things. Thanks for the giggles you gave me today! ~Luv~Betty G~

Painted Groove Girl said...

yuuuuummmmmm. You are just too much. When I tell my girls about this recipe and that you've been holding out on them, they'll be calling to invite themselves over.

oh and fyi ... Catherine is lolling about in a one-hour bath right now.

Diane @ Four Paws and Co said...

Oh yummm! This sounds so good & just what I need for breakfast or maybe even dinner!

Can you explain culinary lavendar? ☺ diane

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

What, no scratch & sniff pictures for us to enjoy? (wouldn't that be cool?)

cottage farm villa (cottagecharm) said...

Oh yes. I believe in the favorite things diet, before the diet! Haven't dieted in years...but I was just thinking of it myself the last few days.Its not that I haven't needed to diet, just was giving myself a break after lifelong diets!

Theresa said...

Now THAT looks like it would be yummy!

Nancy Medina said...

LOL, is there an expanding hiney-kin support group I can join after eating this??? This sounds scrumptious and it can't be bad for you because it falls into the Powdered Sugar Sprinkled on Top food group right?. Love your new banner picture - perfect for the summer!

Justine said...

Wow, now here's a recipe I've never heard of. Lavender in food, huh? Hmmm... sounds very luxurious. And hey, have fun packing on those extra five pounds before you start your diet! LOL

Justine :o )

Lucky Irish Gal said...

are we psychically linked? I made french toast for my hubby twice this weekend. Weird...

Anonymous said...

I understand about the powdered sugar. I pay an extra dollar for an extra sprinkle for my funnel cake !!
G

LivingTheLife said...

Ahh hah...after leaving a comment on your previous post...and then seeing htis post about dieting...I ran across this and thought it was a must read...especially after seeing your blog about butt's blowing up....

Enjoy...



Recently, in a large French city, a poster featuring a young, thin and tan woman appeared in the window of a gym. It said:



¨THIS SUMMER DO YOU WANT TO BE A MERMAID OR A WHALE?¨



A middle aged woman, whose physical characteristics did not match those of the woman on the poster, responded publicly to the question posed by the gym.




To Whom It May Concern:



Whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, sea lions, curious humans). They have an active sex life, they get pregnant and have adorable baby whales. They have a wonderful time with dolphins stuffing themselves with shrimp. They play and swim in the seas, seeing wonderful places like Patagonia, the Barren Sea and the coral reefs of Polynesia . Whales are wonderful singers and have even recorded CDs. They are incredible creatures and virtually have no predators other than hum ans. They are loved, protected and admired by almost everyone in the world.



Mermaids don't exist. If they did exist, they would be lining up outside the offices of Argentinean psychoanalysts due to identity crisis. Fish or human? They don't have a sex life because they kill men who get close to them not to mention how could they have sex? Therefore they do not have kids either. Not to mention who wants to get close to a girl who smells like a fish store? The choice is perfectly clear to me; I want to be a whale.




P.S. We are in an age when media puts into our heads the idea that only skinny people are beautiful, but I prefer to enjoy an ice cream with my kids, a good dinner with a man who makes me shiver and a drink with my friends. With time we gain weight because we accumulate so much information and wisdom in our heads that when there is no more room it distributes out to the rest of our bodies. So we aren't heavy, we are enormously cultured, educated and happy. Beginning today, when I look at my butt in the mirror I will think, "Good gosh, look how smart I am."

Greyeyes said...

Diet?? I think i'll leave that to someone else. As for your Lavender French Toast Bake, That's quite a custard. I bet it is good, real good. I had ice cream last year, oh the pain, that had Lavender in it and it was interesting. I also had one that was rose flavored. I truly am a Vanilla guy. One thing though, i would like to see what you have on culinary Lavender that you spoke of. I enjoyed this post, but now i have this random thought bouncing around in my head that all the women i know powder their butts and it's just not as pleasant as one might think. Happy Day and Thanks, Dave

Mrs. B. Silly said...

That sounds so good. I managed to make my butt grow last week, I know what you mean about just going for it!

Laura said...

This sounds amazing!

I always eat before I start the first day of the rest of my life mumbo jumbo.

Doesn't everyone???

Laura