Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Morning Room At Night


Five years of construction and we finally have one room finished..... Yeah I know - the progress has been slow. But hey, it's progress still the same. When Jack and I took on the task of building a house with neither of us having any experience in this area, we didn't quite realize the job we had taken on. The good news is we're still married.


So this is the morning room (with curtains open), adjacent to my little galley kitchen. And that's Abe sleeping in the chair. I didn't have the heart to disturb him simply to take a picture. Seeing him here also explains to you the reason why I had the slips made for the chairs to begin with. I have dogs. Hairy dogs and dirty dogs. Slip covers are a must for humans like us that live with dogs. At our house, the dogs don't live with us, we live with the dogs.....

I have washed the slips several times now. When I bought the fabric I washed it all first to ensure I wouldn't have shrinkage after having them made. Wouldn't be too good of a deal if you had slip covers made, washed them, and couldn't fit them back onto your chairs.


The main reason for this post is two-fold. First because I'm really grateful to Ann over at Hill Country House that got me on the straight and narrow on who was best in the area in making slip covers and curtains. Both were made by Debbie Phillips at Simply Slips in Fredericksburg. The fabric came from Threads, also in Fredericksburg.

Lord how I wish I could sew! Of course if I could sew, I guess the only time I could it do would be between midnight and 4:00 a.m., being that this is my only free time right now....

The second reason for this post is because I'm just so darn happy to have a room without construction going on in it AND because I need some help. I still have lots of stuff boxed up in storage so I know the decorating will continue to evolve. But - I know I need some pizzazz. Some ooomph. Some pixie dust.

Take this picture for example. See the area above and around the TV? I need something there, just don't know what. It looks kind of plain and boring to me. And yes, that is a picnic basket next to the chair. I actually use it to store magazines, just forgot to close it up for the picture. And in case you're wondering, the floor is brick from an old 1890's Chicago fire house.

That wine cooler was supposed to go in the bar, which is still being built. (Has been for two years now....) Anyway, we realized this sub-zero cooler wasn't going to fit in the space we had intended. So, we had to reconfigure. We've done a lot of reconfiguring in the last 5 years. We simply slapped some paint on it and moved it into the morning room. I needed a little coffee/beverage station and the two refrigerator draws underneath the wine cooler are kind of nice to have for juice, etc. So - the "make-do" actually ended up working out just fine.

Here' s a close-up. I still need to rearrange the shelves a bit and you know - add some pizzazz. The cabinetry in the morning room matches that in the kitchen. Since my kitchen is galley and small, I wanted the morning room to serve as an extention of the kitchen with the same flow.

This is a breakfast bar we had built. It needs some pizzazz on the wall above, too. My pizzazz gene is not working well right now. Having this bar in the morning room is also nice because guests sit around here while I'm in the kitchen cooking and we can still have converstation. Kind of keeps the crowd out of my small cooking area. I guess I should post some pics of the kitchen next time.....


I do like that I had open shelves put in below the bar. Nice place to store all the squash out of the garden. I obviously need to cook some squash.....
Thanks for visiting my new morning room. It's actually my favorite room right now and I do love sipping on my coffee and watching the news early in the morning. But, please.... If you have any suggestions on jazzing up the place, please let me know!

14 comments:

Painted Groove Girl said...

wish I was sitting in that morning room right now, with a cup of coffee. It looks great! I think you need a LARGE elements like a stretched canvas piece or big advertising sign, etc.

Kelly B said...

That looks wonderful!! The surprise bar turned out really great!!! The dog in the chair gives your pictures life, I wouldn't change a thing!! :)

Greyeyes said...

I agree with Sami that you need something of size to put in that space. My first thought was something like a "pepper" Brown painting or a collection of period photographs, but with all the windows and that evil sun they would end up getting destroyed. The other thing, which i hate but you might not, is to put up some museum shelves for some of your packed up "prettys". Naturally, you have to make her come over and stencil the face of them with some type of drab gold vine or something. Eh, just my shekels worth. btw, Donna loves the clock

Kat said...

I got tickled because of your typo in your post title...moning room at night instead of morning. Hehe! Sometimes I feel like I need a moaning room!

It looks good to me. I have old Chicago brick floors in most of my house and I love love love them.

Hugs!
Kat

vlb5757 said...

I love the that you live in a "dog" house. Our Lucy is a fawn boxer and she is quickly beginning to take over certain pieces of furniture. I love the slip cover idea and here shortly we are going to have to get new furniture that I can keep clean. My darling husband is building me a floor to almost ceiling bookshelf at the top or our stairs. I told him that it had better have beadboard as the back. I love your cabinets. They so scream my name. Ya'll have done a great job!

Lavender Chick said...

Hehehehe! Okay - Had Kat not informed me that the title of my blog was 'Moning' instead of 'Morning' Room I would have never known. I agree with Kat that a Moning, or Moaning Room would be nice to have! Actually, my Morning Room has been more of a Moaning Room with all the construction mess.... I told Jack about the typo and he agreed that it was probably some kind of Freudian slip because I do spend a lot of time moaning in the morning room!

Thanks, Kat!

Theresa said...

I wish I could help you with the decorating, but I am woefully incompetent in this area. However, I do love the look of your morning room. (I wish I had mornings that I could spend in a morning room.)

One thing you might consider, is a quilted wallhanging or two around the tv. They would give a comfortable homey touch. (Of course, I'm a quilt fan!)

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

When are the folks from Better Homes & Gardens coming for the photo shoot?. Stunning!

Justine said...

Hey Deb, this looks fantastic!!! I also love the fact that you repurposed old bricks for the flooring. Fabulous! Hmmm... above the tv. How about a really cool mirror? It'd reflect light from the windows across from it.

Justine :o )

Sharon said...

What a wonderful room. Ya'll are really doing great things with your home and I have loved following your progress. I also want to let you know I love your body lotion.
Since you enjoy shopping in Fredericksburg, you might talk to the girl who owns Heirlooms. Her name is Rhonda and she has wonderful ideas for decorating.

Laura said...

OK Miss Lavender Chick-

What is the darkest color in your fabric? Is it black?

Large black 'things' could look cool-

Do you have lavender anywhere? Lavender, black, and white looks good and can even look masculine-

Laura

Hill Country House Girl said...

Thanks for the mention of Hill Country House! I have not posted anything new in weeks so you have prompted me to get going on something.....now sure what yet! Anyway, so glad you like your slips and I can see why you need them, with all the sweet creatures you have! Also, thank you for your comment and yes, the painting you have was done by Jodie. When she still lived here she had her work at Zertz. I am going to tell her to read your comment - she will love knowing who she did that painting for!! She is a hoot - maybe one day we will all get together when she is in town and hold our cocktails just like the woman in the painting!!

Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh that bar is A-MAZING. I love it.

Jill said...

The room looks great. Nice and cozy!
and it looks like your dog feels the same way! Hope you had a great summer. I'm back to blogging and hopefully I won't disappear any time soon.