Friday, December 25, 2009

Five years of construction and we're finally closing in....


Many of you who know me or have been following me for a while know that we've been living in a construction zone for quite some time. Let's see... "quite some time" would equate to about 5 years.



I can't believe that I'm actually able to say that we are just about done with scaffolding, ladders, primer, sheet cloths, and all the other stuff that goes along with living inside your own construction zone. This year we actually got to enjoy our first Christmas in our new great room.

We're still getting settled and I'm still decorating and trying to figure out where to hang this, what to do with this corner, and what table I have that would fit here, BUT - it's livable, and more importantly, it's organized! Organization being the key word here. I can't tell you just how disorganized our life has been for five years. I will be tweaking for quite some time, but just so darn glad to have the big chunks out of the way. And besides, is anyone ever done tweaking when it comes to decorating?


This is what the other side of the room looks like. Yeah - it's a bar there in the corner.

We like to entertain. We live too far from any decent bars, so we just built our own. Y'all can come here and have a cocktail anytime you like!


This is a better shot of the ceiling and the stained glass window we had made. Regarding the ceiling, it is tongue and groove. When we figured out how much wood we had to buy for all of our tongue and groove ceilings in the new construction areas, we figured out that we have 2 1/2 miles of the stuff!
The stained glass window was made by Mr. Cavallini in San Antonio. I know I don't have a good shot of it, but it is actually a lavender field with some hummingbirds hovering over a lavender plant with a hayfield and live oak trees in the background. Which, for those of you that have ever been out here, know that those things are what symbolize Hummingbird Farms.




So I'm going to miss the Christmas tree, but will always remember our first Christmas in this room. Oh - and the fact that Jack and I listened to the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack on Christmas Eve.... That's another story.


Oh yeah - the BEST story of all about this Christmas is that we have three new baby longhorns and more on the way! So - in my next post I will introduce you to the newest members of Hummingbird Farms: Jingle, Bell, and Holly! They are so adorable and about the same size as our standard poodles. Just precious!
Merry Christmas!

12 comments:

Laura said...

Merry, Merry Christmas!

Your new great room is wonderful. I love the fireplace.

I am so glad to have met you this year-

Have a great weekend!

Laura

Vickie said...

Merry Christmas to you back! My daughter made me wait to open my lavender products I ordered. She wrapped 'em up for one of my gifts! I love them.

I also LOVE your home. We are going to be building a stone house in the next year or two, and I would love to see more pictures of yours. I love the great room. That's what I want. Beautiful! I know you're going to enjoy it!

Congrats on the new arrivals, too!

The French Bear said...

Merry Christmas! The room looks fabulous!!! You must be thrilled that it is finished, and in time for Christmas, how wonderful!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Merry Christmas.

The room looks great. Let us know when the magazine people are coming out to shoot pics.

Hill Country House Girl said...

Debi, Your great room and bar are wonderful!! My 2010 resolution is that we will meet - until we do, enjoy that beautiful room and those Longhorn babies, when they arrive. Thanks for checking in at hill country house!! xoAnn

Justine said...

Oh Deb, this room is just beautiful! It's huge, but with all the seating and the way you've decorated so far, it doesn't feel like empty space. It feels cozy and welcoming!

How big is your house? Now I want to see pictures of every single room. And the new babies!!!!!!!

Justine :o )

Penny said...

It has been so long since I've been to blogland it took me a couple of days to be able to post a comment because I couldn't remember my log in stuff! Grrr!
Anyway, I love this room and appreciate the comfy fireside area next to a well stocked bar. You go girl!
Hope you had a marvelous Christmas and are having a New Years Eve party in your awesome room addition.
Hugs,
Penny and da poodle girls...

cottage farm villa said...

How beautiful!!! I love the ceiling .... you must be so happy, what a great Christmas present..

Theresa said...

Your great room looks sooooo pretty! What a beautiful place to host family get-togethers.

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

Greyeyes said...

Oh wow Deb, knowing you as i think i do, i'd have expected nothing less than just what i saw of your Great Room. It's perfect. You know i'd love to pic apart how and why red is a horrible color, but it all just looks great. Great to see a post. D

Italy Fever said...

Felice Buon Nuovo to you and Jack and congratulations on your finished construction!

Stacey said...

I'm so happy for you, Debi! Your great room is just wonderful! I know it's taken a long time, but looks like it was worth the wait! YAY!

So, when will the martinis be served?