Sunday, December 6, 2009

Percolating Memories from Hummingbird Farms

I am sitting here having my first cup of percolated coffee from our brand new Presto percolator! I have to tell you that it is one fine cup of coffee. Seeing my new percolator sitting in my hundred year old farmhouse makes me feel all nostalgic. It just seems to fit so much better than a drip coffee maker. In fact, I think I'm going to go put on a skirt and an apron and sit here until this entire pot is gone. It feels like the appropriate thing to do. Our drip coffee maker went out the other day so I snagged the drip coffee maker from our guest house and brought it into the main house, only to have it go out on us a few days later. After that, Jack and I both agreed that we were done with drip coffee makers. For some reason it seems like we've been having to buy a new coffee maker every couple of years (or less).

We have a big Bertha percolator that we get out when we have company. It always makes the best coffee and everyone always comments on how much better percolated coffee tastes compared to drip coffee. Every now and then we will get down Big Bertha just for ourselves to enjoy some great coffee for the weekend, even when we don't have company. The great thing about big Bertha is that you can make it early in the morning and literally drink it all day without it ever getting bitter, unlike a drip coffee maker. So - when both of our K*ups coffee makers went out on us, we decided we were done with drips....

I grew up on percolated coffee. I can still remember when my parents got their in vogue Mr. Coffee. Everyone except our neighbor, that is, seemed to be throwing out their percolators for their new drip system coffee maker. Our neighbor and my Mom's best friend, Tomi, had a green percolator (it matched her linoleum) and she flat refused to get rid of it. Far be it from Tomi to do what everyone else was doing. She has always been her own trend-setter and has always had a unique beat to her very own special drum. I often realize how many of her philosophies I live by to this day; she had such an influence in my life. I also realize how fortunate I was to have grown up with a house across the street that was as much like mine as my own house. Our families were very close. Tomi's younger daughter and I were inseparable and her older daughter watched out for me and treated me as much like her little sister as her own. Her husband would load up all the kids and take us all camping and fishing and instilled in me my love and appreciation of Big Bend National Park, and Tomi and my mother were - well, let's just say partners in crime... There was no defined line between our families. Our very existence was a 'mi casa, su casa' concept. If I was ever missing it was just assumed I was across the street. I was a part of their family and they were a part of mine.

Okay - back to Tomi's green percolator (which looked like the one here, but was green). I can remember it all the way back to elementary school because her older daughter was always responsible for cleaning it out and getting it ready for the next morning. She taught me how to put it together and clean it out. I also remember coming home from college and fixing myself a cup of coffee from that same green percolator. I recall once being home for a visit (I had to have been in my late 20's if not 30) and laughing at that antiquated percolator and asking Tomi why she didn't get a new coffee maker. She looked at me like I was totally whacked and said, "Why would I get a new coffee maker when this one still works?" She was also insistent that percolated coffee had a better flavor than drip coffee.

So today, decades later, I'm sitting here drinking a fine cup of percolated coffee and finding myself, yet again, living by one of Tomi's philosophies in life that has proven once again to be so very right.

14 comments:

Justine said...

Ooh, this was fantastic, Deb! I've actually wanted a percolator for quite a while now because they for damn sure make better coffee than a drip!

Justine :O )

Hill Country House Girl said...

Well you make me want to just run on over the WalMart and buy a percolator!! Thanks for your visit - I got those big terra cotta urns at one of those places on 290 or Main Street that sell all the Mexican pots and stuff, but it has been at least 5 years or so since I got them. If you go to the one on West Main you should walk all the way around the lot and in the back because they have a ton of things you can't see from the road. Good luck and happy holidays!

Laura said...

My mpther always had a white corning wear percolator and so I did too.

I may have to dig around in my cabinets and see if I still have it.

That coffee was delicious- you are right!

Laura

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

I remember my mom having a green percolator. It matched nothing in the kitchen, because nothing in the kitchen matched. We were just glad it worked. The color didn't matter.

I can still remember Joe Dimaggio pitching the "new" Mr. Coffee makers on TV.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I am totally with you, and you have inspired me to go in search of a percolator. Remember the white Corningware ones with the blue flowers around the bottom!

Vickie said...

They just don't make things like they used to, do they? My folks had the electric perc and also an old fashioned metal one that they did coffee on the stove. I didn't drink coffee back then, but I see them all the time at garage sales. At this point in my life, I'm trying to get back to a simpler way of life. I guess I need to pick up the next percolator I see at a sale!

cottage farm villa said...

We drink coffee everyday and I did not know that a percolator made better coffee than a drip. I didn't really even realize that people still used percolators.

Interesting post Deb!

Theresa said...

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I really can't comment on which type of pot makes the better tasting brew, BUT I do know that once the coffee in a percolator is done, you need to take the coffee ground basket out or you will wind up with something the consistency of road tar!!! (How do I know this???)

My mother was quite consistent at forgetting this step when I was younger, and I was the one who got to WASH the gunk out!

Painted Groove Girl said...

That's it!!! I'm throwing my piece of crap Cuisinart drip coffee maker en la basura!

Thanks for the trip down June Street, across 5th to Tomi's.

As long as we're singing her praises, one time Tomi gave me a home perm because my very own Mother was too busy.

Greyeyes said...

Oh Boy, as you know i am the odd man out and this post is right up my alley. There are some things in life that are Moral Imperatives and some that are simply Romantic Necessities; this is both. (funny cause my post is about my favorite Romantic Necessity) I remember when my grandmother came home with her first Mr Coffee and they made a pot and you knew my Grandfather, short of opinions he wasn't, he hated it. He said he didn't know when to get out of bed because he couldn't smell the coffee anymore and for a while they had this battle of wills going on with two coffee makers, one Mr Coffee and one Ole Chrome Westbend. The Percobubbler won out. Thanks so much, this was a really great post!!!!!!

Kat said...

Just stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas sweet friend!

Hugs!
Kat

Vickie said...

What was that weird post before me???

Just wanted to let you know that I ordered your best of lavender gift basket! I've been wanting to try some of your products. I LOVE lavender. I'm looking forward to it - it's a gift to myself! Thanks!

Connie said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

COnnie

Anonymous said...

Amen to percolated coffee, I love mine and it's still going strong! glad someone else out there loves their percolater:) I wouldn't change mine for the world.. love the story are about the green one though! that's cute.