Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lavender Chick’s 25 Things She Didn’t Realize Until Her Mid-40’s

Since I've been having a bit of a blogger's brain freeze, I'm making it easy on myself and stealing something from BooMama. Kinda. She did a post on 25 things that make her very happy - AND, I'm proud to say that Hummingbird Farms Lavender Lotion was mentioned on that list!!!! Anytime I can make someone happy, it makes me happy!

In terms of my blogging plagiarism of BooMama, I'm stealing her idea of 25 things, but not on what makes me happy. I have instead chosen to create a list of 25 things that have taken me 40+ years to figure out. I went on a girls road trip last weekend with Lisa and Sami because it was Lisa's birthday. It was really a spur of the moment trip which always makes the best ones. Hey - I didn't put that on my list, so make number 26 be that sometimes spur of the moment turns out better than anything well planned out. That's been my experience anyway.

Okay - so since my girlfriends and I have been in our 40's for several years now, and since this year we will be entering the hump year of being 40, we've had a number of conversations on things we know now that we should have known then....

So here it goes, my list of 25 things that took me almost 45 years to figure out:

1. Trying to be like everyone else is exhausting and boring.
2. Wealth is defined by personal fulfillment, not by how much money I have.
3. Most people aren’t all that smarter than me. That's scary.
4. My family is my family....
5. Being with friends at home is more fun than going somewhere out with friends.
6. Home cooked food is better than restaurant food.
7. Homemade birthday cakes are better and more special than store bought cakes.
8. Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, and Father’s Day were all created to make me feel guilty and for economic stimulus.
9. Cloth napkins are much better than paper napkins.
10. Too much Botox looks really ridiculous.
11. I just really don't like steak.
12. A house just isn’t a home without a big fat cat.
13. Nothing should be saved for that special day.
14. Buying some great lip gloss or a really good candle can be more thrilling than buying something really expensive.
15. It’s no big deal if I don’t make my bed every day.
16. Having time alone is a WONDERFUL thing.
17. For the most part, celebrities are weirdoes.
18. Only insecure people keep up with the Joneses.
19. Over-accessorizing is kind of trashy.
20. Everyone is not looking at me!
21. I'm not that easily impressed anymore.
22. Wine doesn’t have to be expensive to be good.
23. Fresh flowers are a good thing.
24. Having one really nice thing is better than five mediocre things.
25. When traveling with friends or visiting friends/family out of town, I can get my own hotel room if I want my own space. I don’t have to be crammed in with someone else if I don’t want. After all, I'm over 40....

17 comments:

Vickie said...

Isn't it great when we finally realize all that stuff and just "come into own"? When we really like ourselves and quit worrying about what other people think? When we please ourselves and our families? I'm not talking about being selfish and not being a giving caring person. It's just knowing yourself on the inside.

I like TIME ALONE. I like my own hotel room, my own space, too. I'm not out to impress anymore. It's a good place...

Painted Groove Girl said...

I may have to steal this on www.paintedgroove.blogspot.com

You are, as usual, hilarious!

The Lone Star Queen said...

It seems we all learn those things in our 40's. I am 45 as well. I just today told my mother that I am going to start using my discontinued Teal color Fiestaware place setting. HeHe. Why not enjoy it and if I break it, oh well...I'm tired of saving it for something special.

Justine said...

Woo hoo! You finally blogged and it was a good one too! I was nodding my head at most of these!!!!

Justine :o )

lisa said...

you don't like steak????? But you're from west Texas?? I'm gonna have to get to know you all over again!!

Painted Groove Girl said...

Lisa,
she just thinks steak is the culprit. It's really gluten.

xoxo,
Sam

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

A hearty AMEN to #1 on your list. I tell people that there are 57 varieties of Heinz, but there's only one of me 'cause I'm an original.

Lavender Chick said...

Lisa - I think steak is a texture thing for me. The older I get the more I realize I just don't care for it all that much. I really don't think I would miss it if I never ate it again. Plus - I feel kind of sluggish after I eat it anyway. I'm good with ground meat, just not big on steak. Of course, everytime I check on Jingle, Belle, and Buddy Holly I could swear off all red meat forever!

YaYa's Funhouse said...

I love it!!! Wish we could have known these things earlier in our lives,but then maybe we would not be ourselves today....I know what this means anyway..HA!!

Greyeyes said...

OH WOW!!! I would totally be laughing if it weren't so true. You know i think i'm with Sami and i'm going to steal the premise but Dave it up a bit. I'll make sure and give you an appropriate reference. Ya know i'm funny about steak too, if it's not grilled i just don't want it. Thanks for another great post. D

Theresa said...

Oh, how I love this!

I especially agree with numbers 1, 2, 5, 6 (if someone else does the dishes)and 16.

I, however, love steak, and most other meats. As a matter of fact, I'm more likely to eat more meat and potatoes than dessert at a meal.

Anonymous said...

Good job...Love the list!! I hate to admit it...but some of those things I didn't learn until I was over 45...I'm nearing 53 now...so I'm nearly a genius! LOL

Thanks for the sweet words about our new blessing...he is truly the new light of our lives! I look forward to sharing with him much of the wisdom, humor and lifes lessons I've learned along the way... as he grows! As you know...I've wanted a grand-baby for so long...maybe since our first child was born...in any case...we are over the moon...and we do think he's rather adorable!

Blessings...
T

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have read and reread your list. I just had a big birthday and I want to make my own! You have inspired me! I love being a strong confident woman...and I can tell you do, too! ♥

Mrs. B. Silly said...

I'm with you on everything except 11 and 12, I'm allergic to cats and I love a good steak now and then, I wish I didn't!

Connie said...

I love it...just wait until you are 50...it gets even better! You go girl...you are in the best years of your life...enjoy!! I AM!!

Connie

Kat said...

Love this list! Amen!

Hugs!
Kat

Holleigh said...

Who are the Joneses anyway? They make life miserable for those of us who realize simplicity is enjoyable. I turned 40 this year, and everything you said becomes more and more obvious! Just bought cloth napkins the other day, and love the freshness of home-cooked food.

The only celebrity that I don't think is a weirdo is Johnny Depp, but that's because his hotness overrides any weird tendencies!