Sunday, August 15, 2010

Because life’s too short to have five jobs and only 5 cats….

Although I was stricken with guilt for about 30 seconds on 500 different occasions this summer, I did what was necessary to snap myself out of it (have a mango margarita). In spite of the guilt, I had an explicitly wonderful summer! A summer that included some girlfriend weekends (including getting to spend a weekend with a high school girlfriend I haven't seen in 25 years!), a family reunion, a few impromptu trips, a wonderful 4th of July which included Big Bend Cowboys Baseball and a day trip to Lajitas, which is one of my most favorite places on earth. Oh – and a few days with our niece Jilly Bean all to myself AND our nephew Stephen. The guilt was worth it.

So – why the guilt? Well, Jack and I had to make the decision of which direction to take Hummingbird Farms. We could either continue to keep the farm open to the public or we could declare ourselves an official body care business.

We’re a small potatoes little business trying to grow – well, let me retract that: We’re a small potatoes little business trying to figure out what in the world we are doing…. The only thing we know for sure is that something had to give. We could use all our time and energy keeping the farm manicured and open to the public, or we could use our time and energy building the body care line (and hopefully future lines), and more importantly, take time to figure out what we’re doing and where we are headed.

So no surprise, the body care business won out.

Although we made the decision not to open the farm (which is what caused the guilt), we will always be forever humbled and indebted to our beautiful blooming fields in 2007 that gave us the inspiration to just do it…. To plunge forward into our wholesale body care business! This doesn’t mean that we will never open again. But – for now, having 5 jobs plus a farm open for touring is a little hectic, we had to do a little prioritization. And - I simply didn't think I could handle another summer of missing out on life by going 24/7.

Okay – I’m exaggerating. I only have 4 jobs….

So with all that said, since we weren’t slaves to our farm all summer we were actually able to have some weekends to do what life is all about.

Breathe.

And live.

And living we did! In fact, we kept so busy doing things we loved and enjoyed that blogging kind of got put on the back burner for me. Sorry about that. Not that I don’t love blogging … I simply made the choice to spend more of my free time with my family and friends.

Oh – and one other thing! We went a whole summer with only acquiring one new animal – a record! We now have a new kitty named Slider; named so because he was found after a day of watching a whole lot of baseball. And those of you that know us also know our philosophy: If they find us, they’re ours….


The girls in the fam having fun...

Aunt Deb & Jilly Bean


Dad and his beloved Big Bend Cowboys after winning the Continental League Championship!



Jack and Stephen on the banks of the Rio Grande

I can't tell you what a great summer it has been! Since our very first lavender field was planted back in 2003, we really have not had a summer of fun. Of course we still kept busy during the week and often on weekends, but we had a little wiggle room for the first time in a long time. I gotta say - it's the way life should be....

6 comments:

Terry M Scott said...

I've missed your posts but I understand, family counts.
Business can take over.
Glad you're on track with what really matters.

Theresa said...

So good to hear from you! I have definitely missed your posts, but I'm glad you were able to figure out what direction you wanted to go with your farm/business/life. Looking forward to catching up with you in future posts.

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Add me to the growing list of those who have missed your posts. It looks like you've had a great time this summer.

The first thing that came to mind, when I read that you named your cat "Slider", was "I wonder if she likes White Castle hamburgers?" Around here they're refered to as sliders since they simply slide down your gullet. Do you have White Castles in Texas?

Besos! Meg said...

Sounds like you know what you want, how great is that?!!!!

I can't believe we didn't catch up with one another even once either here or out in West Texas! I think I will blame Sami for that, lol!

Have a blessed week!

Painted Groove Girl said...

So glad you've taken some time to smell the ... lavender. It has been especially nice getting to see you a little more.

Lavender Chick said...

Hey Sir Nottaguy - I have never heard of White Castle hamburgers... Dang! Because a burger that slides down your gullet sure sounds nice to me! Guess I'll have to stick with the delicious burgers that Miracle Man (aka, Jack) makes me on his black iron skillet. Yum!