Tuesday, December 21, 2010

You sing it your way and I’ll sing it mine…

So I guess I have always had a bit of difficulty understanding lyrics in songs. And yes, it is true that I have been known to really flub up some words. And yes, in some cases decades have gone by before it has finally been pointed out to me that I have had it ALL wrong for all those years.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has thought:

Later on, we’ll perspire
as we dream by the fire

I had the pleasure of figuring this out last week after Jack picked himself up off the floor with spewed Dr. Pepper down the front of his shirt. I couldn’t figure out why he was laughing and spewing so hard…. So what if it took me four decades and a handful of years to learn that no one was actually perspiring by the fire? I’m really relieved to know they were conspiring and not perspiring; it all makes sense now. I always loved this Christmas song and when it got to the perspiration part it just sort of ruined it for me.

While I’m on the subject I guess I will also confess another one of my little mishaps with words. Now don’t be concerned. It didn’t take me almost five decades to figure this one out. I was at least 13-years-old when I learned the proper wording of this Christmas carol. I’m just smart like that…

So this was my version for the first decade of my life:


Oh well, Oh well, Oh well, Oh well,
Born is the King of Israel

In my young mind I interpreted the song as something like this:


Oh well, so we couldn’t get checked in to one of those cozy Inns. Oh well, we don’t need a stinkin’ Inn. We can have ourselves the King of Israel right here in this mighty fine little manger. Oh well.

In the Christmas program at my church when I was little (in which I never, ever got to be Mary and probably could still use some therapy about that) we always sang Away In A Manger just prior to singing Oh Well  Noel, Noel.  So it just always seemed practical to me that the words in the song were Oh well. I mean after all, they had to settle with a manger and not an Inn. Oh well.

And plus – who knows what Noel means anyway? Jack has since informed me that it means Christmas in French. Who knew? I grew up on the Mexican border. I didn’t know anything in French.

So – in closing I won’t end by wishing you a Mary Christmas. I figured out a LONG time ago that it is Merry Christmas. Again, I’m just smart like that. But – to defend my thinking, I assumed it was Mary Christmas because, you know – it was just sort of a nice gesture to keep Mary’s name front and center since she is sort of responsible for kicking off the whole reason for the season. Oh well.

Feliz Navidad!

9 comments:

Painted Groove Girl said...

You may just be the funniest person I know. Oh well, Mary Christmas from Fermin and Donald!

marshavick said...

Oh well, Oh well. Fermin and Donald say Feliz Navadad!

Kimberly Erler said...

Fleas Navidad & Old Lang's Sign... we can really butcher some up together on NYE... I just got the happy news that we'll be out there again this year!!! THAT makes me happy no matter what the lyrics :)

Theresa said...

I just about spit my iced tea on the computer screen! Our girls were good for "one horse, soap and sleigh".

Feliz Navidad!

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Perhaps it was a really, really hot fire. Or maybe you were sitting too close. That would make you perspire.

A friend of our used to sing "In the meadow we can build a snowman, and pretend that he is partched & brown".

A Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Terry M Scott (AKA Terry Mann) said...

Too funny!

Painted Groove Girl said...

Let's not forget "as white as a sheep" and she's such an "arrowhead." Those were not yours, but I have incorporated them into my mangled vocabulary.

Greyeyes said...

Dude, this is nothing short of greatness. I, myself, am still trying to find out who Ol' Lang Zine is.

Chrissie said...

oh my! that is just toooo funny! I remember having difficulty with lyrics - perhaps not as long as you! but I'm sure you knew which way the paper toilet liner goes on the seat of the jon! I didn't get it till I was in my late 20's! it must be a left handed thing! Thanks so much for the laugh! The 'goat hair' did me in, too! :D