Sunday, February 13, 2011

Gayle the social butterfly. I mean cow.



"Gayle just hears the word GO and she's grabbing her purse" -Betty B.(my grandmother, aka "Nanny")

I believe that many of you know that three of our longhorn heifers are named after the 3 women in my extended family that rule the roost:  Marsha, Gayle, and Kathy.

I was just being silly when I decided to name my cows after my mother, aunt, and cousin.  BUT - what I never realized was how they would take on similar traits of their namesakes.  I'm serious. 

Oh - and for the record, longhorns DO have personalities.  And like humans, they have unique personalities.  So this is Gayle and she is very social.  She will see a human from afar and will make a bee line to you to say hi.  I suppose some humans might get a bit nervous if a 1200 pound longhorn comes charging towards you.... But - we know it's just Gayle. And she's just social that way.

7 comments:

Theresa said...

I love it! I wish I could meet Gayle in real life!

Kat said...

Hi there! Just when I think you've stopped blogging, you post something! Gayle is a beauty.

Hugs,
Kat

Terry M Scott (AKA Terry Mann) said...

Deb- I've been following your blog for quite some time now, even before I signed up as a follower. (Read about you in The Dallas Morning News)Anyway, I love your posts about the longhorns, very beautiful animals. Gayle is way too cool!

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

She can grab her purse,but hopefully she won't be hopping in the car to go to the mall with you.

Theresa said...

I showed this to my 9 yr. old grandson, and he laughed and then wondered if Gayle would let him ride her back? I told him that Texas was a long way to drive for a longhorn ride.

Kimberly Finkel Davis said...

I did some googling and there is an old folk song called "Lavender Blue", why not name call him Blue? He's a beautiful bull.

Farmland Investor said...

Very cool - sounds like our cat:)